ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Barebone server: what else do I need to complete it?

<< < (8/9) > >>

superboyac:
I wish granite digital made a 20-bay enclosure.

superboyac:
The Lian Li pc-d8000 has rubber washers around the screws holding the hard drives in place.  It's a good design, I like this company.
Barebone server: what else do I need to complete it?

40hz:
Addonics makes some pretty interesting large storage tower enclosures. Don't know much about them other than what I've read however.

Built on the same storage design concept from the original Storage Tower, the Storage Tower V, IX and XIII feature more drive bays, bigger power supply and more rooms for mounting more Port Multipliers (PM) or connectors. All these translates into more flexibility and more drives for larger storage capacity to meet your storage requirement.

With the combination of various Disk Arrays, as many as eight 3.5" drives, fifteen and twenty one 3.5" drives can be installed into the Storage Tower V, IX or XIII respectively. By connecting the drives to multiple Port Multipliers, as many as 20 hard drives drives can be connected to the system with a single mini SAS cable, or 4 eSATA cables using the Storage Tower XIII. This is just one of the configuration examples. There are practically endless customization possibilities in combining 3.5" or 2.5" SATA or IDE hard drives with various RAID capability. You can actually consolidate all the storage into one Storage Tower and let it serves multiple systems.

--- End quote ---

(Oh yeah! Oh yeah!! Oh yeah!!! Who's yo' Daddy???)

The XIII looks quite svelte too. Measures approx 8x16x25 - which is pretty compact for housing all those drives. And it weighs 43 LBS so you know it's sturdy! Be interesting to find out how quiet something like this might be when fully loaded. I think 4wd had done a post about Addonics somewhere. Maybe he knows?

superboyac:
I was initially going to go for the XIII before I started this thread, since Addonics seemed to be the only company with any options along these lines.  I still like it, especially that it's narrow.  I'm guessing the Lian Li is better for airflow, so if that's available...I don't know.  Choices...

If I go for the modular approach, which I normally prefer...I can get a normal tower to hold the mobo, and one of these Addonics for just the drives.  I like that setup.  But you guys freaked me out about noise and heat!

So now I'm debating:
big fat Lian Li all-in-one
vs
Addonics XIII with 20-disk array, and separate tower

I'm leaning towards the latter.  I first want to check the fan setup on that tower, see how many, what size, etc.  More portable also.  You know, I'll call them about the noise issue.

superboyac:
(A couple of cool pictures for myself), this is turning into my personal research thread!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version