ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Want to send a Batch file - but gmail & prob AV dont...

<< < (3/6) > >>

tomos:
@tomos
I have just mailed the code as simple text-mail, first to my gmail account, and from there back to my Danish account. No problems at all.
-Curt (September 24, 2012, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

sounds good - do you have an AV checking your incoming mails? (makes me realise I could check it that way here too and downloaded mail is checked by AV :up:)

app103:
1) their AV will pick up on it
2) dropbox may be blocked anyway
-tomos (September 24, 2012, 11:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

1) If their AV will block the download, it's likely it would also eat the .bat file, no matter what method you use to get it to him.
2) A lot of companies don't block dropbox because they use it internally in some of their own departments to exchange files with their offsite employees and independent contractors.

tomos:
If their AV will block the download, it's likely it would also eat the .bat file, no matter what method you use to get it to him.
-app103 (September 24, 2012, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

very good point - probably also the case if he creates it himself.
Will report back,
thanks for the brainstorming all :Thmbsup:

Shades:
You could also try send as plain text but in front of each line of text you put an escape code, like # or -- or REM (for batch).

If there is a parser scanning the content of the attachment, you could likely fool it this way. In essence you just sent text which cannot be ¨executed¨ in any way.

The receiver can easily adjust the script. Most text editors are capable to removing columns in texts nowadays. Even if the receiver is only allowed to use Notepad, this shouldn´t be much of an issue either.

Target:
I often need to transfer files that are blocked (executables) or are too large to go through the corporate mail system and I've found a couple of tricks that help.  

for executables you can rename the file, eg give it an additional extension, like ABC.EXE.TRASH.  Then advise the recipient to delete the bogus extension before they run the file (they have to save it locally first).  You can also try packing it into a ZIP file, though this isn't always

for overlarge files I use 7Zip ('cos ZIP compression is woeful) and create an SFX archive.  Now this is an executable, and I either pack it into a ZIP file, or add a dummy extension

if that fails, you could always break it up across multiple emails - potentially painful, but a line of text on it's own is pretty innocuous - or munge the code somehow, eg adding whitespaces or substituting ~ for the i character would turn most of it into gibberish, but would be simple for anyone to reverse

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version