ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interview with Richard Stallman

<< < (2/4) > >>

mahesh2k:
the guru of GNU, imam of Internet freedom, sultan of sharing, and all in all, pretty wicked cool guy
--- End quote ---
LOL.

I like his views on freedom but this one cracked me up.

Renegade:
Some paraphrases from the video that 40hz posted (just for fun - and all out of context :P ):

Steve Jobs = Evil genius who made the world a worse place~!

We have less rights online than in the physical world.

Microsoft wants to put its restricted boot down on your computer's neck.

They made a mistake because they put in an ATI graphics chip.

About the Raspberry Pi:
It will probably be very difficult to run that machine with free software at all.

Why should we be prepared to give up our freedom to help some programmers find work if we just ignore the fact that other people can't find work.

Every kid Americans DON'T have is a reduction in how much global heating there's going to be in the future etc.

But that's not ethical, so I treated it as not acceptable. (About UNIX.)

I wish failure to any business that makes non-free software.

What happens to you is not sufficiently important to justify the wrong you are doing.

I was a bit pissed at the end of the show as they brought up the ONE single issue that I want to know what RS thinks, and then totally skipped it. Services. (And related stuff like web sites, etc.)

40hz:
^AFAIK, RMS has never had a problem with people charging for services in any way, shape, or form. (The GPL actually encourages it along with charging for copies of software.) All he has ever objected to is people attempting to claim ownership and restricting the use of an idea. Which by extrapolation makes software - which he views as 'recipe' or "a collection of instructions" - not patentable or...er...copyrightable. (Is that a word?) An opinion the USPTO and LOC also held up until the US began to dominate most of the world's software market - at which point (under pressure from US legislators at the urging of several big software developers such as Microsoft, IBM, and Oracle) they finally changed their minds. With predictable results, all anticipated by Stallman.

Stallman may not be right about everything he believes in. But with the passing of time he's becoming more and more correct about almost everything he's warned us about.

What I'm really beginning to fear is that he'll eventually end up being 100% accurate about all of them.

About the Raspberry Pi:
It will probably be very difficult to run that machine with free software at all.
-Renegade (September 24, 2012, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, well, well...looks like he demonstrably got that part wrong at least! ;D

Renegade:
I for one, do not see a significant difference between software and SaaS. The freedom issue is still the same as far as I can see, and SaaS in inherently antithetical to freedom. Am I missing something?

f0dder:
I wonder if there's an English translation around (or if Google Translate does a nice enough job) for this little piece of rms visiting Denmark a bunch of years back. Sounds like a bit of an ass, as a person.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version