ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Um...the new iphone map app is, like, the same as google maps

(1/2) > >>

superboyac:
So, on Friday, I went down to our local hipster area to watch the girls and see what happens at the apple store.  First, there was a ridiculous line that lasted all day and night.  So silly.  It's just a phone ( a good looking one, but still).

I was interested in checking out the new apple map thing they've been talking about.  Let me tell you, I had to ask the staff if this was the new apple app or the old google map one.  That's how similar they are.

Here's the question: if apple can sue (and win) samsung for copying them, can't google sue apple for making billions in a matter of days using an app that's pretty much exactly the same as theirs?

Now, before people start pointing out what is actually different about the apple app and the google app, let me stop you...that's not my point.  i don't care anyway.  The point is, ultimately, when an average joe uses the apple app and then uses a google map app on an android phone, most people will not notice much difference.

rectangles, rounded corners, maps...at some point, i feel like we are just being creative for the sake of creativity.  it starts getting lame after a while.

wraith808:
Yes, they will notice a difference.

The google one is right.

http://gizmodo.com/5944897/17-people-apple-maps-has-already-horribly-misled

There's a lot of news out there about it.

superboyac:
Yes, they will notice a difference.

The google one is right.

http://gizmodo.com/5944897/17-people-apple-maps-has-already-horribly-misled

There's a lot of news out there about it.
-wraith808 (September 23, 2012, 07:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's not really what I was talking about.  I was trying to make an analogy with the similarities that were argued about in the famous lawsuit with apple and samsung.  the superficial stuff.  if samsung has to figure out a way to make a phone that's not a rectangle, i'd imagine apple needs to figure out a way to make a map app that doesn't look exactly like google maps.

wraith808:
Just because Apple does it... does that mean we need to propagate it?  I mean seriously.  It's like that analogy about an eye for an eye.

TaoPhoenix:
Somewhere in an Eye for an Eye, comes Legal Precedent. If Apple wins a wild lawsuit based on a rounded corner, then why not have Google win one back on Maps? It hits the meta level of what we think precedent means and how basic it can become.

Lots of pundits are looking for a watershed where we all finally say "enough - no more".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version