ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... RAMdisk opinions

<< < (3/12) > >>

40hz:
Sounds like badly programmed software.
-f0dder (September 23, 2012, 11:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agree. Sad thing was they were both fairly popular in their industry. Or so I had been told.

With one package, there was a lot of behind the scenes remote-in sessions to fix things by the devs too. They even requested formatting the server it ran on to use a specific cluster size under windows. All well and fine I suppose...since there are situations in database design where it could make sense to do that. But for anything written after 1990? C'mon guys!

f0dder:
They even requested formatting the server it ran on to use a specific cluster size under windows.-40hz (September 23, 2012, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
Say... what?

Might make sense to offer that as a performance tuning advice, but... as part of problem resolution? W T F? Also, it really shouldn't be necessary for performance tweaking, unless they're retards and don't do any kind of pre-allocation.

Pray tell, what software package or company name? Sounds like something to stay waaaaaaaaaaay clear of.

Steven Avery:
Hi,

I've noticed some people place an emphasis on placing temp file directories in ramdisk.  This might make sense, since there is nothing there to lose.  Although the advantages of just that element might be quite limited.

If you are updating your Linkman data in a Ramdisk, and the power goes off (or the OS locks up) then it seems like all the work that was done since the ramdisk loading will be lost. (If there is a periodic save, that can develop its own concerns.) Isn't this always one potential problem ?

Steven Avery
Bayside, NY

Shades:
@ Steven Avery:
Yes, but that situation is not much different without using a RAMdisk. Actually, when the power fails and the OS was just writing to disk, I rather loose the work that has been done (RAMdisk) than potential file corruption (hard disk), which can have all kinds of "weird" effects and the (obligatory) CHKDSK takes time to complete as well.

40hz:
I've noticed some people place an emphasis on placing temp file directories in ramdisk.  This might make sense, since there is nothing there to lose.  Although the advantages of just that element might be quite limited.
-Steven Avery (September 24, 2012, 04:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

There were a couple of discussions touching on this topic previously that might be worth a glance. The XP thread (thank you Shades :up:) is here. The Win7 thread is here.

----------------------

Every time is see a discussion like this I keep wishing we had a more formal tech KB at DoCo, Something along the lines of a nicely done wiki would be good. There is a deal of good information lurking down in the forum threads just waiting to be mined. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version