ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... RAMdisk opinions

(1/12) > >>

barney:
Just got back from an alcohol-fueled conversation with some compatriots about RAMdisks.  There were four (4) of us, and I think there were six (6) opinions voiced (I said it was alcohol-fueled  :P).

At any rate, it got me to wondering whether a RAMdisk is really effective anymore.  Made heavy use of them back in the DOS days - TSRs and RAMdisks made things much faster and more convenient.  However, I've not used such in probably two (2) decades.

One (1) of us was a proponent of RAMdisks in Windows for the temp files that Windows uses.  Another agreed, to some extent, but thought the swap file was a better usage.  No. three (3) thought running specific apps there was a better usage.  (I didn't get to say much, 'cause I was the designated buyer  :-\, and it was a very thirsty conversation  :-*.)

Anyway, now that I'm in a thimk mode - and semi-sober - I'm wondering how the rest of you feel on the topic.  Would you use?  If so, what would be your preferred usage?  And is there a particularly good - or bad - implementation for the purpose?  (I can remember some real stinkers in my DOS days  :P.)

Renegade:
Anyway, now that I'm in a thimk mode - and semi-sober - I'm wondering how the rest of you feel on the topic.  Would you use?
-barney (September 22, 2012, 11:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, being semi-sober is a serious problem. I'd recommend against using any of those candy-ass little pint glasses and get yourself a respectable flower vase. Good for holding about a pitcher of beer, or a pitcher of scotch. Either way, you're in better shape than those pint-holding posers. :P

Do get a glass or crystal flower vase though, and not a ceramic one -- let's people see just how serious your alcohol problem thirst is. But don't call it a 'flower vase'. Instead, call it something a bit cooler, like, "this is my not-candy-assed beer glass, you pansy!" :P Insults at the end always sound cooler too. South Park has many good ones that you can use for inspiration:

NSFWDonkey-raping shit-eater
Transvestite donkey-witch

Do try to keep it as plain as possible. There are ones out there that look identical to pint glasses, but just much bigger.

Anyways, that should help solve the unwanted-sobriety problem. Let me know if you need more help there as I am quite the expert on the topic. :D

For RAMdisks, I don't use them as computers now as so fast, and I have an SSD, so there's not much point. I'm probably of less use to you in that area.

EDIT:

Back to the real problem here... This is what I mean:

nosh:
HAHAHAHA!  :Thmbsup:

SQUIDMAN:
I like the concept of RAMdisk or RAMdrive read a brief article in I believe PC World. But when I tried finding out more info all my tech friends didn't really know that much. I think the article said it was 10 times faster than a SSD drive, but since I never used it, wasn't sure how to make it work with a program. :)
Just deep down like the idea.

40hz:
RAMdisks have their place although they're far less important or necessary than they used to be thanks to cheap RAM, faster drives, and multicore processors

They still find good use on a busy server when you have some running application with a very active log or busy temp caching requirement. But now, with affordable SSDs (which I will go on record saying I still don't sufficiently trust for anything important) it's become fairly moot. At least as far as workstation use is concerned.

Just my  :two:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version