ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ubuntu will now have Amazon ads pre-installed

<< < (7/8) > >>

mahesh2k:
No. It was always there from release 10.04, 3 years back. I am surprised that people found out so late. Same with Mint, gnoppix, mephis and few other distros, none of them have it mentioned on their site.

wraith808:
No. It was always there from release 10.04, 3 years back. I am surprised that people found out so late. Same with Mint, gnoppix, mephis and few other distros, none of them have it mentioned on their site.
-mahesh2k (September 23, 2012, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Then that's the how.  It's not right for any of them, frankly.

mahesh2k:
The thing that comes with ubuntu 12.10 is however a lens which has amazon's aff code. It was made to search amazon listings from unity. That's the new thing, which looks somewhat like FARR. You can compare it with something like say FARR where mouser's ID shows or the plugin developers ID for every amazon listing.

TaoPhoenix:
In general I have problems with an OS with tight hooks to Advertisers. It just feels dangerous.

mahesh2k:
Only if you used that feature it becomes dangerous, however you can drop those components and work just fine. I just came across one post where someone was working over a hack to let user choose which lens to keep and remove. So if the commercial lens gets populated, it would be easy to get them out with such fixes. Not a biggy like candy malware IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version