ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR slow searching/pauses - tips

<< < (2/4) > >>

mouser:
the other two have Microsoft Security Essentials installed...
--- End quote ---

Second item in help file:

It has been confirmed that Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus can slow down FARR searching (and result in delays/pauses during searching).
The fix is to exclude FARR's process from MSE scans.
For more info and instructions see:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29756.0

Big thanks to DC member Armando who was the first to discover and document this.

mouser:
I wonder if I can check for MSE on install and warn user.

wut?!:
Seems to be the case with Defender as well.

I was having FARR become unresponsive for 8-15 seconds at a time on both of my home desktops. It would be very obvious because the actual Windows window decoration would show up around it during this time. This would only ever happen the first time I brought FARR up, I think. Both are i7 boxes with plenty of ram and SSDs.

But, it hasn't happened since I excluded FARR in Defender. Thanks, mouser!  :Thmbsup:

mouser:
Thanks for the report, wut!

IainB:
I had not been experiencing any annoying slow-downs in FARR, but after reading this, it reminded me to go and add FARR (and a couple of other applications) to the Exclusions list in Windows Defender, just to see if it made a difference.
Though it didn't seem to make any noticeable difference at all to FARR, I reckon it is probably a good idea to experiment with this in Defender to find out what applications might be being hampered by Windows Defender.
The other applications I experimentally added to the exclusions list were CHS and InfoSelect. I don't know the cause, but CHS is always annoyingly "laggy" when scrolling the list of clips, and InfoSelect has become often painfully slow to refresh its pane display and usually gets stuck waiting to refresh the display.
Adding them to the exclusions list in Defender didn't seem to make any difference at all, which at least eliminates one potential cause.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version