ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > DC Gamer Club

The story of Origin/Ultima/EA

<< < (2/3) > >>

Deozaan:
Necro post? That first article was written in 2005.
-Deozaan (September 18, 2012, 09:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps, but I just came across it, and found it interesting.  Should I not post links to something that was written long ago that I come across just because its old?
-wraith808 (September 18, 2012, 10:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not it. I just read it with the assumption that it was a new article about EA's Origin software (the Steam competitor) and was thrown off by all the seemingly out of date information found within the article. It wasn't until the last page when the article mentioned Tabula Rasa being in its fourth year of development that I knew for sure something was fishy.

I guess what I'm saying is that some sort of notice about the date of the article would have been nice to help prevent confusion. (c:

Paul Keith:
You want necro-posting? Someone find me the Trip Hawkins quote for High Heat Baseball. I can't find that in Google anywhere.
-Paul Keith (September 18, 2012, 09:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

This one?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/03/04/high-heat-2004-is-up-to-bat
High Heat 2004 is Up to Bat
"Since its debut on the PC in 1998, High Heat Baseball has garnered critical acclaim and an enthusiastic fan base," said Trip Hawkins, chief executive officer of The 3DO Company. "By recreating the foundation of High Heat for the PC, we intend to reward those fans by continuing to take the game to new heights."
-TaoPhoenix (September 19, 2012, 12:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nah. It's as outlandish as the cover quote in the official box cover on Gamefaqs.

It went something like... 5/5 or best baseball game or something like that.

This from a PSX videogame who was going 3d for the first time and looked like a 3do baseball game on the PSX (meaning it was not only the ugliest baseball game, it was also one of the ugliest game of any genre for the console)

wraith808:
Necro post? That first article was written in 2005.
-Deozaan (September 18, 2012, 09:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps, but I just came across it, and found it interesting.  Should I not post links to something that was written long ago that I come across just because its old?
-wraith808 (September 18, 2012, 10:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not it. I just read it with the assumption that it was a new article about EA's Origin software (the Steam competitor) and was thrown off by all the seemingly out of date information found within the article. It wasn't until the last page when the article mentioned Tabula Rasa being in its fourth year of development that I knew for sure something was fishy.

I guess what I'm saying is that some sort of notice about the date of the article would have been nice to help prevent confusion. (c:
-Deozaan (September 19, 2012, 02:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ah.. I didn't relate Origin to their new Origin platform.  Whenever I hear Origin, I still think of Origin Systems.  Hmm... I guess perhaps that's the reason that they used that for the name, though I never even thought of that relationship, though it seem that Ultima would be a telling bit, and the fact that their Origin platform wasn't an acquisition...

Deozaan:
I never played any of the Ultima games, so I was never familiar with Origin Systems.

40hz:
I stayed with Ultima up to the end of the second series: The False Prophet (VI). I still thought Exodus (III) was the most clever and probably the best story arc. Especially the eerie theme music which the C64 SID chip rendered beautifully.

Later on I didn't really care for where Garriott was taking the story. It got a little preachy to my ears. Oh well...

Sure do miss those lovely cloth maps and other accessories that used to come in Ultima boxes.

They were both cool and functional. They contained information and clues you actually needed to complete the adventures. Good luck figuring out how to use the absolutely critical 'Moon Gates' in Ultima III without that map and some of the clues it held.

Nice touch! :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version