ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In rememberance of....The antiquated hardware/software reminiscence thread

<< < (10/10)

40hz:
In 1000 years when aliens visit this wasteland the LaserJet will work with their power source yet they will find historical records of some things starting with i for some unknown reason
-rgdot (September 18, 2012, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

And even though there are no longer any humans, the replacement toner cartridges will still be ridiculously expensive. ;D

(Shortly after landing, an ALB (autonomous legal bot*) will impound their ship and serve them with papers which claim ALL their advanced technology infringes on one or more of over 100 trillion registered patents belonging to entities with odd sounding names like: Apple, Microsoft, Oracle, Google, and Amazon.)

---------------------------------------

*Note: The automated legal system of the human race was specifically designed to outlast its creators and "function perfectly" without the need for any human interaction.

MilesAhead:
Turbo! Go from 4.4mhz to 11mhz with the push of a button!
-Josh (March 07, 2010, 04:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

4.4 to 11?? That's not fair! Mine only toggled 4.77<=>7.15 Mhz  :)

The switch was on this beast:

It came with 12" yellow monochrome monitor and Hercules Graphics.  The graphics had 256KB of ram while the system came with 512KB main memory. I changed the monochrome monitor to EGA. I upgraded the ram to 640KB then ran an Expanded Memory TSR (probably from PC Magazine) to "borrow" the graphics card ram unused when the card was in character mode.

If the first system I had was fast to start with I probably would never have bothered with assembler. Funny but since most everyone just had Dos back then, I could actually accomplish quite a bit on such a hobbled system. But forget about writing device drivers without even a break-out switch. :)

Josh:

MilesAhead:
I started programming using Turbo Pascal 6
-f0dder (March 08, 2010, 02:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I learned Pascal on Turbo Pascal 3.0. Back then it still spit out .com files, not .exe. By then I was already into QB 3.0 and MASM.  The Turbo stuff was more fun though. The magazines covering Turbo languages didn't take themselves so seriously. I enjoyed the stuff written by Jeff Duntemann quite a bit. He wrote with humor while still imparting the technical knowledge. Not easy to do.

40hz:
@Josh -  

;D ;D ;D ROTFLMAO!!! ;D ;D ;D

It's been a bloody crazy day. Thanks for making me laugh. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version