ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

I'm practicing how to make films

<< < (8/8)

mouser:
Pontypool is great -- was discussed a bit on this thread.

superboyac:
(not really related, but just wanted to post)
I played my first gig with the Sara Thacker Band.  It went well, I'm looking forward to more.  This is the first time I've ever learned a set of songs that were written from scratch.  All the other songs I've played in my life were basically covers (classical, jazz standards, classic rock covers, blues and pop tunes).  Although not that different, i did enjoy creating my own part for the songs; it felt creative.

TaoPhoenix:
That seems to be the more popular preference.  It's the same with the music I like, I seem to prefer the old-fashioned things.  What I worry about is let's say I was doing this for a career...would most people think it's old hat, or would they enjoy it?  Most people seem to think of my preferences as a been-there-done-that thing, but to me it really is a strong preference.  That's why I want to try a few of these things and see if what I like is something others would enjoy, or am I just boring them?  I'll have some musical things up soon and I'll be interested in people's reactions.
-superboyac (September 19, 2012, 10:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'll go with this comment to work off of.

1. I'll leave the whole Vector - Raster thing to my betters. But the output is a picture (series of). So what if 3/4 of the art is the efficient stuff, but then you added your own little touch on top? Just briefly, though you said that background for that cartoon was beautiful, I disagree a little. Maybe I'm not a fan of White Characters on Brown Backdrops. What does seem to be showing up much more are sharper angles across all of anime, characters and backdrops alike. Not sure if that's efficiency or art at work.

2. There's no glory for hand drawing for the sake of hand drawing just to have a bar story. A million frames at at work here, right? Can't Copy-Paste-Alter cover some of that in modern software? On the simple scenes, with an easy change, you're not drawing all 14,000 frames, you're pasting the (background?) and 3/4 of the character, and just then working with the character art. That's gotta save a little time. I get the South Park theme as a 1-off, but overall I despise it from an art point of view. There's only room for like 20 minimalist entries before someone has to go back to hard work. (xkcd is another survivor.)

3. Re elsewhere, Mashups aren't really the masterpiece themselves - they're more like raw material. It's the absolute first stage of learning we need (see the copyright threads) just to get anyone ever into art. Someone borrows a scene, and a different song that says something to them, and a small point is made. That's all mashups usually are - but it's an important first step. Few people will spend the 4,000 hours to do a big project if they can't first goof off with a 5 hour mashup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version