ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Rocket Science 101

<< < (2/3) > >>

Deozaan:
Reminds me of the Kerbal Space Program

(I was never able to escape the Earth's atmosphere...)

SeraphimLabs:
Reminds me of the Kerbal Space Program

(I was never able to escape the Earth's atmosphere...)
-Deozaan (September 16, 2012, 02:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Kerbal is lots of fun. Gotta be a little methodical in your testing to get results though, but it only took me a few hours to reach orbit the first time. Right now I have ships all over the place, including in orbit of other planets.

But where Kerbal is okay let's do this if it blows up build another, NASA's equivalent is more into realistic simulation and recreating actual mission profiles- theorized or actually flown.

tomos:
I still build model rockets and go shoot them off with my daughters.  I even built my own launcher box from a fishing tackle box.  Does that count for squat?
-skwire (September 16, 2012, 12:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

do you have to clear the area first? I mean, do they crash land?

skwire:
do you have to clear the area first? I mean, do they crash land?-tomos (September 16, 2012, 09:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

There is a large soccer field complex near our home that we use.  On Sundays, there usually aren't too many people out there.  But, yes, they do crash land; some have a parachute and some are so light that they don't need one.  Even if they hit you, it's mostly just a cardboard tube and some balsa wood fins.

Stoic Joker:
I still build model rockets and go shoot them off with my daughters.  I even built my own launcher box from a fishing tackle box.  Does that count for squat?
-skwire (September 16, 2012, 12:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

do you have to clear the area first? I mean, do they crash land?
-tomos (September 16, 2012, 09:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

IIRC (it's been over 30 years since I did it) the lase stage of the rocket's engine blows backward up the body/tube to dislodge the cone/tip to release a parachute that it "lands" with.

(skwire beat me to it)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version