ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Rocket Science 101

<< < (3/3)

Renegade:
Anyone here ever build a bazooka with model rockets and pipes when they were kids? Or am I the only one? :P

skwire:
Anyone here ever build a bazooka with model rockets and pipes when they were kids? Or am I the only one? :P
-Renegade (September 16, 2012, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

We used to use a PVC pipe and bottle rockets for ammo.  We'd fashion a "sight" to the pipe with whatever we had laying around, e.g., cardboard, duct tape, etc.  Aww, yeah.    :D

* skwire goes rummaging through the garage...

SeraphimLabs:
I still build model rockets and go shoot them off with my daughters.  I even built my own launcher box from a fishing tackle box.  Does that count for squat?
-skwire (September 16, 2012, 12:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

do you have to clear the area first? I mean, do they crash land?
-tomos (September 16, 2012, 09:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

IIRC (it's been over 30 years since I did it) the lase stage of the rocket's engine blows backward up the body/tube to dislodge the cone/tip to release a parachute that it "lands" with.

(skwire beat me to it)
-Stoic Joker (September 16, 2012, 10:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I still have some of my kits from 10 years ago, and they continue to work like that to this day.

The kit rockets and prepared engines for them are a standard type gunpowder arrangement. They provide a high thrust for launch, then a smoke trail for tracking during the ballistic phase, and finally an ejection charge that "pops" up the tube of the rocket to eject the nose coupling and deploy the parachute for recovery.

Gotta clear a small area for the launcher just in case, but most of the time they can be flown successfully in a football field sized arrangement- or really any similar sized open field free of trees and power lines that they could get caught on.

Stoic Joker:
-Renegade (September 16, 2012, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

While gunpowder was regulated and not something they sold to children even back then, rocket engines were easy to get in any hobie store... Granted the (Um...) "extraction" process was insanely dangerous in retrospect...but the results were quite entertaining. However I'll not be detailing them here to avoid having dark sedans appear in my driveway... :D

rjbull:
Video complete with The Blue Danube music, just like the seminal video game Elite...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version