ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Postbox 3 - $9.95

<< < (2/4) > >>

tomos:
I guess since it builds on Thunderbird, you do not get more security, compatibility, or speed -- so what features do you feel are a big step up?
-Jibz (September 14, 2012, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

for me, these would all be very interesting (depending on how implemented):

File and Image Search (I miss this a lot in Tbird)
Conversation Views
Powerful Tagging (another biggee)
Focus Pane
Message Annotation

Seeing as there's no plans to develop new features for Thunderbird, I'm wondering where that will leave Postbox in the future...

lanux128:
I guess since it builds on Thunderbird, you do not get more security, compatibility, or speed -- so what features do you feel are a big step up?-Jibz (September 14, 2012, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

due to Thunderbird's development being halted by Mozilla, i had been on the lookout for a natural successor, and Postbox sort of fits the bill since it started life as a Thunderbird fork. although, i hardly use a desktop client these days other than to have the messages available offline.

How does the Mozilla announcement impact Postbox development?

Postbox was founded by the original Thunderbird team close to five years ago.  At that time, a version of the source code was forked and the team has been innovating in its own direction ever since.

As such, we expect that the Mozilla announcement will not materially impact Postbox development, and we welcome all Thunderbird users to give Postbox a try! -website
--- End quote ---
• http://postbox-inc.com/?/blog/entry/an_awesome_alternative_for_thunderbird_users/

rgdot:
Message Annotation
-tomos (September 14, 2012, 10:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

This could be big, the features page doesn't make it sound like anything though

Editing / Annotation

Edit inbox messages just like a word processor.
--- End quote ---

I guess I will try to see.

Jibz:
The continued development argument is one thing I agree. I just noticed it is pretty much only available in English though :-\.

cyberdiva:
I was very excited when, thanks to this thread, I started looking into PostBox.  I was so pleased with a few of its features that I went ahead and bought it after just a few hours of trying it out.  Duh.  I never learn.  A few hours later, I found I couldn't get a couple of things to work, and that's when I found out that PostBox can't be bothered offering tech support.  They've put up some "trouble-shooting" advice, and if that doesn't work, well, too bad for you.  Or rather, too bad for me. [BUT SEE BELOW]

Addendum: Ah, me of little faith.  This morning I was going through some of the PostBox Help information, and to my surprise, I saw a link to a form I could use if I still hadn't found what I was looking for.  So apparently there IS some possibility of real tech support after all.  Not sure why I didn't see it earlier--perhaps because I was signed in this time and not before?  Oh well....  I should add that I'm still finding features that I like about PostBox and am once again happy to have bought it.  (If I could find a way to delete my earlier grumbling, I would, but since I can't find how to do that, I'll just "modify.")

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version