ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Metadata search software

<< < (4/4)

Contro:
Ejem for the indexing fields scanned.
It's a new world.
Scan a document and index with the OCR mantaining the original document.
I think is the system follows Qiqqa.
We have in the forum a good defender of Qiqqa.
I hope he sees this post.

Best Regards
 :)

bob99:

I am studying this question.
I think in this post the best way is limit to the fields windows give : summary properties, word file properties, photo exif properties. Really I think is enough with the general properties.

Paperport seems to use these general fields.

:-[
-Contro (September 15, 2012, 10:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

What I noticed is that not all metadata programs show these, what I call, most basic of all fields (or tags in metadata speak.)
I did test ExifToolGUI with a Word doc and it does show FileName, Author, Keywords, Comments and Category. Filename is always there anyway but I added data to the Author, Keywords, Comments and Category fields/tags using the context-menu > Properties > Summary tab. After I refreshed the file in ExifToolGUI all were displayed.
But PDF's are a different story. For it to display the information it has to be entered into the fields/tags using a PDF program.  For example, I use PDF-XChange viewer. I opened my test PDF, selected Properties and added info to Author, Subject, Keywords, Description Writer and Copyright Notice. (This is more than you are looking for but tested all of them)  After I saved the file and refreshed ExifToolGUI all were shown.
Trying to do the same with the context menu > Properties > Summary tab... I could enter info in these fields but none if it was displayed after going back to ExifToolGUI and refreshing.

By the way, you may have already noticed, ExifToolGUI is a GUI that has been written to work with ExifTool. ExifTool is a command line program only.

Anyway, hope some of this helps you or others that may read it and been through similar frustrations.
I'm still going to try Imatch in a day or two to see if it handles anything differently.

sword:
@Contro

What I use for finding tagged/personalized files is WordPerfect. It is not low cost or easy to use but it is powerful. I will supply details or step-by-step guides for use if you are interested. Use is easy, setup is not.  :)

Overview:
The basic search will find files you have changed and under menu1: look in: (drive/folder), menu2:(filename, contents, filename or contents, last modification date) + (contains word (in same (line, paragraph, sentence, phrase), not word, not phrase). Additional conditions can be added as 'AND or 'OR. menu3: file type:_ _, buttons: Find now, Advanced. "Advanced": Look in: (drive/folder)_ _, [ ]/checkbox search subfolders, [ ]/checkbox allow document summary fields in search criteria. The "document summary" is customizable with 51 optional, fillable items like: subject, name, dates, keywords, type. author... The original filename can be automatically changed and the search printed, added to the file or saved.

Contro:
What I use for finding tagged/personalized files is WordPerfect
-sword (September 15, 2012, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Take this into consideration. Almost any home scanner comes with a lite version and free with the scanner of a indexing software. And able to recognize the file properties more usual.
So I would like a free soft for this purpose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version