ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Roboform, crippling the export function and Bits Du Jour censorship

<< < (7/9) > >>

wraith808:
BdJ just removed a whole slew of comments.
-Josh (September 14, 2012, 08:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Did they?  You mean from the RF2G thread?  I didn't notice it any shorter... what were they in regards to?

40hz:
From the comments above, was it BDJ or the vendor?

-Renegade (September 14, 2012, 08:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

You'd still need to hold BDJ somewhat responsible. "Your website = your responsibility." Either BDJ removed the comments - or they allowed them to be removed. And since the end result is the same no matter who is most directly responsible, BDJ can't simply dump it on some 3rd-party and walk away. Especially in the absence of any clearly stated policy about notifying users that the vendor is in control of everything that appears on the page - provided that actually is the case

Unfortunately, such a policy might have a negative effect on the perceived credibility of BDJ in general, so it would be interesting to have BDJ officially state exactly who gets to moderate comments and what the policy and process is for comment moderation. Because right now, only BDJ can clarify what's been going on with the RoboForm offer.

There's also chance this is all one big misunderstanding. But if so, it's BDJ that will have to straighten it out since the rest of us can't do much more than speculate.
 :)

(Note: For the record: I'm a fan of BDJ. I've bought things through them before and I've been quite happy overall with the experience.) :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
From the comments above, was it BDJ or the vendor?

-Renegade (September 14, 2012, 08:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

You'd still need to hold BDJ somewhat responsible. "Your website = your responsibility." Either BDJ removed the comments - or they allowed them to be removed. And since the end result is the same no matter who is most directly responsible, BDJ can't simply dump it on some 3rd-party and walk away. Especially in the absence of any clearly stated policy about notifying users that the vendor is in control of everything that appears on the page - provided that actually is the case

Unfortunately, such a policy might have a negative effect on the perceived credibility of BDJ in general, so it would be interesting to have BDJ officially state exactly who gets to moderate comments and what the policy and process is for comment moderation. Because right now, only BDJ can clarify what's been going on with the RoboForm offer.

There's also chance this is all one big misunderstanding. But if so, it's BDJ that will have to straighten it out since the rest of us can't do much more than speculate.
 :)

(Note: For the record: I'm a fan of BDJ. I've bought things through them before and I've been quite happy overall with the experience.) :Thmbsup:
-40hz (September 14, 2012, 09:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know what you mean there. I've just never looked that far into any of Nico's policies there. I've never had to. I've sold software through BDJ. But I've not had any problems there. So, I have a bit of a different perspective, as I've sold a lot more software than I've bought through BDJ. But I've never had a problem buying software through BDJ either. So, in my own experience, well, it is what it is. I do not want to comment any further as nothing I say can provide anything of value, either for or against anything.

Steven Avery:
 Hi,

Since the Bits position is clear as mud, I placed this on the forum, below the earlier post, although I do not see it yet.

Siber-Roboform and the ethics of crippling an export function.
http://www.bitsdujour.com/view/id=18437/

============================================

Hi,

Here is the Donationcoder thread.
Roboform, crippling the export function and Bits Du Jour censorship
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=32221.0

We were trying to figure out whether the censorship (which apparently increased as the "sale" sent on) was from Nico and Bits directly ...., or indirectly by giving control of the comments to the vendor.

Please let us know, and you might want to read the Donationcoder thread and give us the Bits view there or here.  The credibility of Bits, I believe, is taking quite a hit by the censorship, which looks to be far greater than anything previously in moderation mode.

Steven

============================================

superboyac:
Roboform has been going down a somewhat negative path as of late, since v7 it seems.  First they pissed everyone off with the lifetime license reneg.  Now this behavior.  It's interesting how the "Import" function is right there in the File menu, and Export is not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version