ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Roboform, crippling the export function and Bits Du Jour censorship

<< < (2/9) > >>

40hz:
@Steven - not so much "seems" as does make you do a lot more.  I use Keypass and it's Linux cousin. And you are absolutely correct. Getting auto entry to work is a fiddly exercise at best. And occasionally it's also study in frustration since it sometimes "just won't work" with some websites, no matter what you do.

That said, I still prefer it I over anything that stores passwords to somebody else's servers. But I'm the " wears suspenders AND a belt" type when it comes to passwords.
 :)

Steven Avery:
Hi,

yes, I understand 40hz.  For that reason, I may try Keepass again, I load it up all the time but with blank data ! :)

===============

Here is my current post on Bits ! I do not know if it will get posted or not, due to the activation of the moderation queue.

====================

Bits Du Jour - Roboform 2Go
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/roboform2go-v7/

====================
Hi,

Michelle, your answer is puzzling.

Basically,  I really do not think you understand the difference between a print function (designed to show you what data you have in a visual fashion on the screen or on a printed page) and a data export-->import function.   

There is simply no concern on a data export-->import function as to print formatting or being too long on a page, since it is raw data (cvs .html .txt .sql etc).  In many cases, the data is never viewed at all, it is simply used directly for import.

And many people using the export function ended up trying to reload earlier versions of Roboform in order to have the real function needed.

So, I put more information on this on a Donationcoder thread as well as in a post on the lightly-used Bits forum.  (Suggestion: highlight the fact of the forum far more clearly on the front Bits pages... bold, color etc.)

Michelle, it is true that you already gave me an answer of sorts from your tech support people.  So there is no need for me to ask them again, unless they plan to put in a proper export function.  From what you say, it is clear that Siber-Roboform simply has no plans to restore the full export function, which they had for many years.  And that was my question here.

Personally, without a full export function, the program is not of interest to me. Since I may end up with 100 or 200 entries. In which every single one needs modification if I try to use my data anywhere but Roboform. This goes against all philosophies of system and data openness and transparency, and my control of the data I generate.  (Understanding that you need your master password to do any export anyway.)

Thanks for trying, Michelle, anyway.  I realize that software companies often put their public-front PR people in a difficult position, so there is no antagonism meant towards you at all.  

Steven

====================

Since it is on a queue, I can not add a note saying that she (as PR-customer service) may not understand how trivial it is to have two alternate print-display outputs.

====================

rjbull:
I upgraded to RoboForm 7 for its convenience, but, like others on DC, I always start from KeePass.  That way I always have a free, portable system that I can export from if necessary.  Quite a few plugins are available for extra convenience and form-filling with KeePass.

Is KeYpass a typo for KeePass, or a different program?

Steven Avery:
typo

Curt:
regarding the censo... ehh moderation on Bits, please always check who is answering the questions > The one answering is usually the one moderating. Today the censor is Siber, not Bits. There is only little reason to accuse Bits du Jour in this case; it is theoretical always better for the customers, to have the author commenting (and therefor also moderating) than the seller (Bits). Bits' own censorship is still quite moderate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version