ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

SilverNote

<< < (5/5)

Dormouse:
I'd like more options ...I would also want a portable option. And a folder tree (with a button to hide the panel).
-Dormouse (December 11, 2012, 04:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think I might have changed my mind about what I would like in the app, with exception of portability.

It's not that I don't want the other features, it is about trying to see the USP for SilverNote against all the others. One is the drawing tools.

But the other is that it is a program for making and keeping real notes. It is light and feature-lite, except that almost anything you want to make a note of, can be shoved in quickly. It is not a text editor/writing program. It is not an outliner. It is not a place to store and organise lots of info. It could develop in any of those directions, but it could lose its simplicity as a note taker if it added too many features or beefed up any of the well developed functions in other programs so that it competed with them directly. So, I'd like the features I mentioned but I would most want it to retain its USPs.

And after using programs like this for many years (and hordes of drawing apps), I had never realised how much I would use the possibility of using them for more visual things in one of them. But now I can see that I would and lots of things I would have used it for, if I had had it before.

Dormouse:
Web clipping.
I can copy and paste text or an image.
I can drag and drop text or an image.

It would be useful to collect both text and image data together.
-cranioscopical (September 12, 2012, 01:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've not really tested this out, but I've found that I can drag and drop both text and images together from Chrome. But its only text from Opera unless I explicitly use the Copy Image line - the images seem to be selected but don't get dropped. I've not looked at FF or ie. This sort of webclipping seems to vary a lot in effectiveness between the different progs and the different browsers (dragging and dropping into TreeDBNotes never seems to bring images either from Opera or Chrome),

thebaglady608:
@adamc - Just patrolling through the forum and found SilverNote.  I'm really liking what I'm seeing!  Here's my thoughts:

Pros:
- integration with Dropbox.  YESSSS.
- Simplicity - like how it lets you do all the things that an actual notebook can do:  write text, draw pictures, erase, cut and paste, drag things in.  V. nice, intuitive, and fast.
- Tabbed documents - I like having this option.  It's nice for a notebook that doesn't have too many things in it, because it keeps everything accessible.
- Being able to search multiple categories easily.  Nice.
- Random little touches, like the unobtrusive capture feature, the ability to save drawings to your basic shapes library, and the screenshot and word count features.  Do like.

Wishlist:
- Fill Function Tweaks - It took me a bit to figure out how the fill functionality worked for drawings.  I was trying to do it like in Photoshop:  select fill, then click on the area you want filled.  Took me a bit to select the drawing first.  I'd suggest making the function work like Photoshop, though, because otherwise the user has to alter their drawing style based on whether they want to fill or not.  I can't use one stroke to make, say, ground plus some simple flowers, and then make the flowers different colors, for instance, the way it currently works.
- Label Function  - Does the Label function do anything?  I get it on right-click of an object, but entering a label doesn't seem to do anything.  I was hoping that maybe it was a captioning type of function that would automatically group text with an object.
- Link Function on Drawings - Likewise, does the Link To File function work on drawings?  It works on text, but going through the same procedure with drawings doesn't seem to actually link them.
- Prettier drug file depictions - Purely an aesthetic thing, but when dragging a file (and thus creating a link to a file) onto a notebook page, you can't format it in any way.  You're stuck with whatever your (possibly ugly) default shortcut icon for that file was.  Allowing some formatting here would allow people to prettify up their file links a bit.
- More export options - I know that this isn't a program only meant for text, and thus that html is the best export format for the expected text-plus-pics page, but as a writer, I mostly WILL be using text.  It would be great to be able to export into a universal text format, like .txt or .rtf.  Also, as someone who is eternally wary of locking anything into a program-specific format, a way to export an entire notebook in a nicely-labeled way would be appreciated.  I DO LOVE that the program works with non-proprietary formats (saving everything essentially as an html), but the labeling is not useful if, say, the program goes away and all I'm left with is my repository and I have to find something in it or export it somewhere else.  At the very least, I'd have to rename every page's index.html file.

Seriously, though, nice work.  I like it lots, and if it was portable and I could drop it and its repository into Dropbox to use wherever, I'd be very tempted to use it as my primary writing app.

urlwolf:
Love the vector editing. Too buggy for daily use. No headings (h1, h2). Slow changing notes.

donleone:
too bad SilverNote
is no more developed

at least has not been
since 2014.

really too bad!

it has some very nice features
that if developed out
could make it a power-house.

but really too bad
that it is dying out.

Navigation