ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kids E-Book Ideas?

<< < (2/5) > >>

40hz:
^Well...if you're gonna confuse the issue with sanity and common sense we might as well end this discussion right here. :P

But seriously, it shouldn't matter. Then again, there was the Zune...

daddydave:
Don't don't know the answers to these, but FYI, I recently stumbled on to this
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/50-places-free-books-online.htm
Maybe there are some kids' books in there ...
-kunkel321 (September 11, 2012, 11:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nice..found a link to 161 Places For Free Children's eBooks Online   there. That will keep me busy for a while. :)
-daddydave (September 11, 2012, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

On investigation, ebook is defined very loosely there..any web site with a story on it seems to be considered an ebook. But still worth some digging though.

daddydave:
Of course now that Microsoft has essentially bought out (or more probably bought off) B&N (in an effort to get out of that ridiculous patent lawsuit they themselves started) there's every indication the new Nooks will soon start being based on Windows 8 rather than Android as the current models are. Could be good or bad. Only time will tell on that score.
-40hz (September 11, 2012, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe we should just run the Kindle app and the Nook app and whatever else on a rooted Nook. That's kind of future proof. Maybe the same could be done on future Windows devices.

Windows Phone 7.x is supposed to be really good at running on low-end hardware, I wonder why it wouldn't be better to use Windows Phone 8 instead of Windows RT 8 since basically all it has to do is run the Nook app.

wraith808:
For the nook, they have a store specifically for kids:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/childrens-ebooks-kids-ereaders-ebooks-digital-animated/379003131

Grouped by age range.  Some of them are retail prices, but there are some bargain (and free) books also.

daddydave:
Don't don't know the answers to these, but FYI, I recently stumbled on to this
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/50-places-free-books-online.htm
Maybe there are some kids' books in there ...
-kunkel321 (September 11, 2012, 11:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nice..found a link to 161 Places For Free Children's eBooks Online  there. That will keep me busy for a while. :)
-daddydave (September 11, 2012, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Looks excellent! Thanks for the link!

We're not quite at that stage yet, but I'll be keeping this in mind.

Of course now that Microsoft has essentially bought out (or more probably bought off) B&N (in an effort to get out of that ridiculous patent lawsuit they themselves started) there's every indication the new Nooks will soon start being based on Windows 8 rather than Android as the current models are. Could be good or bad. Only time will tell on that score.
-40hz (September 11, 2012, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

This really pisses me off. Even when you want to just go and get a book for your kid, you have to worry about this crap.

Nothing against you 40 - you've pointed out a valid issue. But should it even be an issue? Sanity would say "no". Reality on the other hand isn't completely sane. :(

-Renegade (September 11, 2012, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

After Borders closed, showing that all brick bookstores will die eventually, buying a Nook from the other big brick-and-mortar bookstore seemed like a sure dead end, and Amazon seemed like it would be the last bookstore standing. At least the partnership with Microsoft seems to change that, so in that sense it is an improvement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version