ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kids E-Book Ideas?

(1/5) > >>

daddydave:
School has just started here, and it seems like this may be the (school) year of the e-book. I was already thinking of getting a couple of Kindles,  and my kids told me (after I expressed that I was considering buying some Kindles) that there will be an announcement very soon about increased used of ebook readers or tablets (I know they bought a bunch of iPads). They say some of their classmates already bring these to school.

Most of the children's ebooks I've seen on Amazon are twice the price I would pay for the typical paperback kid's book, so I am having doubts as to whether I would really gain anything other than saving a trip to the public library. Amazon allows you to rent some books from the Kindle Owner's Lending Library once a month, but all they can tell you is they have Harry Potter, the actual books available in the Lending Library are apparently a big secret unless you buy a Kindle.

Aside from paying for ebooks through Amazon, I am looking at borrowing ebooks through the local library. I will consider paying for a library card from out of town. But every library I've checked (including NYPL)  seems to have the same crappy browsing of all juvenile ebooks not categorized by age group.

So I guess I am looking for any of the following:
- Better way to navigate kids ebooks by age group and get suggestions
- Awareness of any independently published children's books or website specializing in kids ebooks that can be read on a Kindle or other reader
- Any suggestions of ebooks kids in the upper single digits (say 7 to 9 years old) can enjoy, that can be borrowed or otherwise obtained inexpensively.
- Any other children's ebook tips

kunkel321:
Don't don't know the answers to these, but FYI, I recently stumbled on to this
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/50-places-free-books-online.htm
Maybe there are some kids' books in there ...

40hz:
FWIW, my GF (who is my in-house consumer electronics expert) decided on a Nook rather than a Kindle after one of her extremely thorough and nit-picky studies. She thought the B&N title selection and pricing was better. And feature-wise, the Nook had far less "nonsense" than Amazon's reader. She's been extremely happy with hers. Don't know if that would work out the same for a user who's not an adult. However, I have friends who bought Kindles for their kids who haven't been all that happy with them - mainly because of the kid book pricing and selection.

Of course now that Microsoft has essentially bought out (or more probably bought off) B&N (in an effort to get out of that ridiculous patent lawsuit they themselves started) there's every indication the new Nooks will soon start being based on Windows 8 rather than Android as the current models are. Could be good or bad. Only time will tell on that score.

daddydave:
-kunkel321 (September 11, 2012, 11:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nice..found a link to 161 Places For Free Children's eBooks Online  there. That will keep me busy for a while. :)

Renegade:
-kunkel321 (September 11, 2012, 11:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nice..found a link to 161 Places For Free Children's eBooks Online   there. That will keep me busy for a while. :)
-daddydave (September 11, 2012, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Looks excellent! Thanks for the link!

We're not quite at that stage yet, but I'll be keeping this in mind.

Of course now that Microsoft has essentially bought out (or more probably bought off) B&N (in an effort to get out of that ridiculous patent lawsuit they themselves started) there's every indication the new Nooks will soon start being based on Windows 8 rather than Android as the current models are. Could be good or bad. Only time will tell on that score.
-40hz (September 11, 2012, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

This really pisses me off. Even when you want to just go and get a book for your kid, you have to worry about this crap.

Nothing against you 40 - you've pointed out a valid issue. But should it even be an issue? Sanity would say "no". Reality on the other hand isn't completely sane. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version