ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Shit Apple Fanatics Say

<< < (7/12) > >>

rgdot:
What would users of Cody OS say?
-TaoPhoenix (September 14, 2012, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Especially when they are locked to apps available in the DC Store  :P

Edvard:
What I don't want is to have to think about how to extract information from the device (simple, concise, done) and that is what I get from the Windows Phone.
-Stoic Joker (September 14, 2012, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've made my recent (philosophical) conversion public elsewhere, but I must give credit where it is due.

Microsoft really has a very good understanding of development and how to make things easier for developers.

And I must confess... I am LAZY as hell when it comes to development. If I can find a cheaper, easier, faster way, I will.

But every time I look into something that isn't Microsoft, I find nightmarish mazes of ways to get simple things done. One need only look at a text input in Windows Forms vs. GTK or whatever.

Microsoft just "gets it right" to make developers productive.

I've shied away from MS mobile platforms for the past few years, but I think I'll take a look again fairly soon.

I already do a lot of work on mobile platforms. Given how easy MS stuff is, it should be dirt easy to get a windows mobile app running. (I'll skip the cursing about other platforms.)
-Renegade (September 14, 2012, 10:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
* Edvard tosses Renegade a monkey wrench...Microsoft annoys developers with Windows Phone 8 secrecy
 ;)

daddydave:
Brand insanity aside, these phones are getting too f****** big! A PITA to lug around and easy to smash up!

For my next phone I'm seriously considering going for the smallest, lightest device available that lets me make and receive calls, that's it.
~hipster-nosh
-nosh (September 14, 2012, 03:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

I seriously considered getting the biggest device I could fit in my pocket, and didn't really care if it could make calls or not! So there! In fact my last phone was an iPod Touch, which can't make calls.

In fact, I wonder if smartphones will eventually find a way to take "phone" out of the name, since making calls is probably a tiny fraction of what people use them for nowadays.

(I fibbed a little. Actually I am still using a dumbphone for that for the moment -  LG900 which has a qwerty (which in a dumbphone is probably a good thing because people were always saying "send me a text", and I liked it at first but don't recommend it because I've had 2 and same issues with both: the charging port goes bad, and the camera locks up when you try to take pictures to the SD card. )

My wife is the same as you, though. I just bought her a pretty decent quad-band flip phone recently, and the process of buying it made me realize that "dumb" phones are still evolving and getting better.

MilesAhead:
On first reading of the subject line I was distressed. It seemed as if a new and rather unappealing fruit flavor was invented. Imagine my relief when it's only a Jobs-related thread!! :)

Edvard:
I seriously considered getting the biggest device I could fit in my pocket, and didn't really care if it could make calls or not! So there! In fact my last phone was an iPod Touch, which can't make calls.

In fact, I wonder if smartphones will eventually find a way to take "phone" out of the name, since making calls is probably a tiny fraction of what people use them for nowadays.

(I fibbed a little. Actually I am still using a dumbphone for that for the moment -  LG900 which has a qwerty (which in a dumbphone is probably a good thing because people were always saying "send me a text", and I liked it at first but don't recommend it because I've had 2 and same issues with both: the charging port goes bad, and the camera locks up when you try to take pictures to the SD card. )

My wife is the same as you, though. I just bought her a pretty decent quad-band flip phone recently, and the process of buying it made me realize that "dumb" phones are still evolving and getting better.
-daddydave (September 14, 2012, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I got a LG500G prepaid through Tracfone, and it suits me just fine, though I've lately considered buying a cheap Huawei android phone and just using it through WiFi... kinda like a tiny tablet computer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version