ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Shit Apple Fanatics Say

<< < (6/12) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Email access while out of the office has become imperative so I'm tied to the Smart Phone class devices. I've also had occasion to need web access while in the field.

What I don't want is to have to think about how to extract information from the device (simple, concise, done) and that is what I get from the Windows Phone.

TaoPhoenix:
Brand insanity aside, these phones are getting too f****** big! A PITA to lug around and easy to smash up!

For my next phone I'm seriously considering going for the smallest, lightest device available that lets me make and receive calls, that's it.
~hipster-nosh
-nosh (September 14, 2012, 03:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ya' know, you can get geek cred soon with a Dick Tracy style Watch phone! There are some early models out in Asia, and some proto-models floating around here in workshops. I really do think we're about one generation of tech out from making it happen. Sound quality might be a topic, but then I'm in an area with zero quality in my apartment anyway, so it couldn't get much worse for me on that front.

Renegade:
What I don't want is to have to think about how to extract information from the device (simple, concise, done) and that is what I get from the Windows Phone.
-Stoic Joker (September 14, 2012, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've made my recent (philosophical) conversion public elsewhere, but I must give credit where it is due.

Microsoft really has a very good understanding of development and how to make things easier for developers.

And I must confess... I am LAZY as hell when it comes to development. If I can find a cheaper, easier, faster way, I will.

But every time I look into something that isn't Microsoft, I find nightmarish mazes of ways to get simple things done. One need only look at a text input in Windows Forms vs. GTK or whatever.

Microsoft just "gets it right" to make developers productive.

I've shied away from MS mobile platforms for the past few years, but I think I'll take a look again fairly soon.

I already do a lot of work on mobile platforms. Given how easy MS stuff is, it should be dirt easy to get a windows mobile app running. (I'll skip the cursing about other platforms.)

40hz:
When our contract was about up last time, my wife and I decided to downgrade our phones, from smart phones to the LG Wine II. Nice big keys, no data plan. It's just a simple telephone (well, it can take pics):
 (see attachment in previous post)
-kyrathaba (September 14, 2012, 07:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

I kind of wonder if that will become a trend.

I was talking to a neighbor the other day, and he was talking about the same kind of thing. He doesn't like all the other crap on his phone, and just wants a "phone", and maybe a camera at the most.
-Renegade (September 14, 2012, 07:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

If I didn't need access to client e-mails and the occasional use of web protocols like HTTP to look up technical info or file a trouble ticket - or telnet/ssh to remotely check up on a server or router, I'd drop all the smartphone features in a heartbeat.

As long as I could call home (or emergency services and roadside assistance) that would be plenty for me. 8)

TaoPhoenix:
What would users of Cody OS say?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version