topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Nokia's new Lumia 920 phone doesn't impress. But why? (no reason)  (Read 7017 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So today I get blasted by a bunch of articles about that new Lumia 920 and 820 that got leaked to the public.  Most of the articles talk about how investors are not impressed, Nokia's rep is on the line, etc.  All these criticisms.  Now what I don't get is...why?  What are the reasons?  The look?  The stupid rounded edges so that it doesn't infringe iphone coyright?  What??  Give me something!

No reasons.  What does that tell me?  I don't know, it could be many things.  First, maybe this is just a media war between Nokia/Windows and Apple or something along those lines.  Maybe Apple is using their power to make sure there's bad press for all these non-Apple products.  It's very possible.  There's just no reason given.

it could be the phone really isn't that great, but for some reason nobody will say why.  That would be odd, but possible.

Maybe some people know something about the phone other than the useless specs they throw around constantly.  Also possible.

Also, the public, if it truly gets affected by this stuff (and we will!) is stupid for buying into any of these things without any reasons why one is better than the other.  You know some people are going around saying "Yeah! The new Nokia sucks!"  <--Why?  I'm not saying you're wrong!  Just tell me why!  Why, man, why??!!

I'm not defending MS or Nokia.  It's just odd.  Is it the loud, obnoxious colors?  Just say so!  Say something!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Nokia's new Lumia 920 phone doesn't impress. But why? (no reason)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 10:49 PM »
Pics? Links? I have no idea what you're talking about. :huh:

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:01 PM »
have you tried contacting steven leather?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 02:18 AM »
Pics? Links? I have no idea what you're talking about. :huh:

nokia920-1346855563.jpg

http://www.engadget....napdragon-s4-cpu-wi/

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 03:46 AM »
I guess people are still having too much fun checking out how Nokia apparently is faking both the video and still images used to advertise how good the camera in those phones is:

http://www.theverge....w-ads-are-fraudulent

http://sefsar.com/no...the-still-photos-too

:-[

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 07:08 AM »
Maybe they're just mad because the screen is to small ... ;) ...I kinda like it myself, and I'm looking to switch to a Win8 phone in the next month or so (whenever they come out).

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 07:22 AM »
I guess people are still having too much fun checking out how Nokia apparently is faking both the video and still images used to advertise how good the camera in those phones is:

http://www.theverge....w-ads-are-fraudulent

http://sefsar.com/no...the-still-photos-too

:-[

Sigh... Being honest and telling the truth is simply far too difficult now. I think it has something to do with the world ending this year in a zombie apocalypse on December 21 or something like that. But I guess I can understand how Nokia needs to compete on a level playing field of douchieness and whatnot. Meh... Perhaps a nice lawsuit or tasering will cheer me up. Or perhaps I should go munch on a nice juicy apple. Not really in the mood for an orange or banana. Water. That'll be a good start...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 07:59 AM »
Meh... Perhaps a nice lawsuit or tasering will cheer me up. Or perhaps I should go munch on a nice juicy apple. Not really in the mood for an orange or banana.

In today's lawsuit happy climate, the nice juicy Apple munches on you!

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 03:34 AM »
Actually I thought it looked really neat that phone

Of course R here has the N9 and wow, what a superb piece of hardware.

The not impressed part is all about the brand and the perceived "miss" (i.e. Nokia is punished repeatedly for failing to have been Apple, like Yahoo is punished repeatedly for not having become Google.)
There were several misses (eg: releasing really neat mini tablets early but refusing to put a phone chip/stack in them. They could have owned...) but they are not helped by management being pushed by investors into directions and fights it cannot win, just because thats what investors think will bring the share price up :(

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 09:26 AM »
Most of it is probably due to the amazingly botched release of the Lumia 900. Nokia stock dove so much after that fiasco that the 920 was needed to basically be a "savior" for Nokia. While it improves greatly on the failures of the 900 it doesn’t appear to be great enough to overcome the losses.

The 900, most might remember, was the phone that has the ads where all other phones were supposedly beta versions to prepare people for the great and wonderful Lumia 900. Which was then released with a wifi radio that didn't work for most people. Plus it was thicker and heavier than most other phones, which didn't help it. And after years of battling Microsoft with their vaunted Symbian operating system, the Lumia was powered by the Windows Phone OS, you know - the one without much of an app base? Also, the Lumia 900 was not picked up by Sprint or Verizon, who claimed to be not interested in the Windows Phone OS. The OS was so different from that on the iPhone and Android that it put off a lot of people.

Face it: not much went right at all for the Lumia 900. So the 920 had to be the "be all, end all" in order to overcome all that and pick up the plummeting stock prices. That's a tall order for any phone, let alone one with a family history like the Lumia 900. Just a doomed dinosaur from the start IMO.

Jim