ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Most BitTorrent users being monitored by copyright agencies, study finds

(1/4) > >>

Arizona Hot:
All BitTorrent pirates here that were bothered by the results of this article, reply with "Arghh!"

Most BitTorrent users being monitored by copyright agencies, study finds

4wd:
Go to ScanEye and click Check IP - see what it says you've torrented, (copyrighted stuff via public trackers only, AFAICT).

It picked up the one *cough* Linux ISO *cough* that I downloaded 3 months ago - imagine my horror when it turned out to be a movie 

Of course, if you use private trackers, encryption, etc then you'll understandably get not much.  If you use a VPN provider that dynamically allocates your gateway IP then you might get a list of files that others or yourself have torrented via that IP.

Stoic Joker:
Go to ScanEye and click Check IP - see what it says you've torrented, (copyrighted stuff via public trackers only, AFAICT).-4wd (September 06, 2012, 05:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, that's a bit more than just a little spooky.

mahesh2k:
Demonoid has few uploaders who used to keep tracking link and when people used to download from these type of uploaders, they used to get notice from the ISP. I remember comment from one of the seeder with this problem. I guess it was some old off the shelf documentary which was uploaded and shared. And now demonoid operators are behind the bars.

f0dder:
Of course, if you use private trackers, encryption, etc then you'll understandably get not much.  If you use a VPN provider that dynamically allocates your gateway IP then you might get a list of files that others or yourself have torrented via that IP.-4wd (September 06, 2012, 05:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
Encryption will help against MITM snooping, but won't stop tracking you when the observers partake in the same swarm as you. Private trackers might take a little more effort to monitor (but how hard is it getting an invite to those places?), but might also be more interesting to target than the public trackers. VPN? Gotta trust the provider not to sell out their logs (and trust the ones that claim they don't keep logs) :-)

My IP is clean ^_^

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version