ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Most BitTorrent users being monitored by copyright agencies, study finds

<< < (3/4) > >>

40hz:
Plus there must be some privacy issues (internationally) if they are potentially using it to personally identify people.
-Carol Haynes (September 06, 2012, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know how it works in other places, but over here you can scream about privacy until you're blue in the face if such privacy would interfere with preventing or stopping an illegal activity. On paper it might make for a compelling argument. But in a courtroom your rights to privacy get very short shrift if you're being charged with a crime. Most judges and jurors simply don't want to hear it. Especially in cases where  "invasion of privacy" is offered as your primary defense argument against the charges being brought.

It's very difficult to get evidence thrown out of court despite how easy TV 'cop shows' make it out to be.

f0dder:
To be in the swarm monitoring they must be downloading illegal material too-Carol Haynes (September 06, 2012, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nope.

And you don't even need to grab the .torrent if you've got it's infohash. Then you can simply ask the tracker for some peer IPs... you can then contact the peers and do normal bittorrent protocol communication to see which blocks they have, use extensions to get even more peers, etc. But you don't need to ever get any actual file data.

Of course, if you want to verify the a peer has the data it says it has, you'd need to retrieve blocks and check if their hashes match, which requires the hashblocks from the .torrent file.

Stoic Joker:
To be in the swarm monitoring they must be downloading illegal material too-Carol Haynes (September 06, 2012, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is it still illegal to DL something if you own it, or are authorized by the legal owner to ascertain its availability?

Hacking is illegal ... Unless it is being done at the request of the targeted networks owner.

4wd:
My IP is squeaky-clean.
--- End quote ---

Mine as well...-kyrathaba (September 06, 2012, 12:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just in case you don't get to see an example of its other output.

wraith808:
Mine is clean as well...  >:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version