ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your favorite computer game from when you were young?

<< < (5/28) > >>

vegas:
Kings Quest I-IV  &  Zork  &  Earl Weaver's Baseball
-vegas (April 16, 2006, 01:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Previously listed are those from childhood, games I used to play alot over 5 years ago were ROTT (Rise of the Triad) and Quake2 (CTF & RA mostly)

zridling:
I'm with Carol in showing my age. When I was teen and Pong came out, it was incredible; couldn't believe you could interact with a TV that way. (We didn't have to money to buy one, but the lone rich kid in the neighborhood did.) Later on, when I was too old for it all, it was Ms. Pac Man, of course! I don't have time for games now, but I DO tape and watch X-Play every day.

Deozaan:
When I was young we didn't have computers! I can still remember the first available pocket calculators which seemed pretty whizzo at the time - even if you did have to learn RPN to use them ;)
-Carol Haynes (April 15, 2006, 05:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry for my ignorance, what's RPN?

Favorite computer games? Too many!

Our first computer we had was for my father's business. The monitors were just green and black. I don't even remember what kind of computers they were. There was a fun game on it called Ladder. Then my brother got a TI-87 or something computer and a book for programming games in BASIC. Plus we had the cartridge addons. The game I remember most from it was called Tunnels of Doom.

Then we got a computer that ran DOS and Windows 3.11. Tons of old DOS games -- Doom I & II, Wolfenstein 3D, Worms, Scorched Earth, Space Quest I-VI, Sim City, Star Control, Hugo's House of Horrors and the sequel Whodunit. Jill of the Jungle, Heretic, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D, Where in Space or the Universe is Carmen Sandiego, Monkey Island I & II, Full Throttle, Mario's Missing, Warcraft I & II, Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Starcraft, Command & Conquer: Red Alert, Heroes, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Commander Keen 1-IV, Moraff's World, Stars!, Rise of the Triad, Descent I & II, and a gem called Castle of the Winds.

We eventually got two computers and networked them so we could play games multiplayer. I spent countless hours fragging my friend or brother in FPSs and destroying or being destroyed in RTSs.

I used to really like the competitive games but nowadays I prefer cooperative over competitive. Probably because I spent so much time on those games that I could beat my brother and friend almost everytime--and by a landslide--that they got sick of playing with me.

That's all I can think of right now. There's actually another but I can't remember the name of it. Something like Fantasy Empires.

I also had a fun time with an Intellivision and a Nintendo but those aren't computer games so I won't go into the long lists for those systems.

EDIT: Fixed name and added link for Tunnels of Doom. (I previously referred to it as Dungeons of Doom.)

f0dder:
RPN == Reverse Polish Notation, stack based way of inputting stuff. Pretty funky if you're used to the "normal" (algebraic?) way of doing it. Queer languages like LISP use RPN as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation

Edvard:
Yipes, let's play "I'm an old fart"...
All the old games I remember were Apple II games. Some platforms, a couple interactives (like Zork, etc.) here's a list of all I remember, but there were probably a few more...

Zork I & II
Apple Panic
Lode Runner
LSLLLL (admits blushingly... and only once...)
but first prize goes to...
Robot Odyssey (which lives on as DROIDQUEST!!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version