ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

instant linux on winxp

<< < (5/11) > >>

kalos:
I'm surprised QemuPuppy didn't work for you.

It's been awhile since I tried it but it is the most thought free Linux OS I've ever tried.

No knowledge required. Not even what resources to cut when a virtualized window is open. Just copy paste to usb and click like a regular portable app.
-Paul Keith (September 05, 2012, 09:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

it sounds very nice

however I need ubuntu
basically, I wont to run some linux programs, which I know they run in ubuntu
if I can be sure they will run the same way in QemuPuppy, it would be fine!

Paul Keith:
Don't quote me on this but:

Lucid Puppy is dubbed Woof and it is fully compatible with the Ubuntu software repositories, allowing users to install any application or package that is available in the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) operating system.
--- End quote ---

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Puppy-Linux-5-2-Is-Based-on-Ubuntu-10-04-176685.shtml

It's actually old puppy news and is still not as Windows user friendly as possible to test but an average Linux user would probably find it simple enough to understand. It just really depends whether you consider Ubuntu's programs to really be Ubuntu native apps and how rare are the software we're talking about here. Plus Qemu is still Qemu and Puppy is still Puppy. It's not going to look like Ubuntu even if you can put the software in it.

http://bkhome.org/woof/index.html

For a long time I have dreamt of a "magical script" that could download packages of some other distro, cut them right down to Puppy-size, then build a Puppy Linux live-CD -- and do all of this totally automatically.

Finally free of front-line responsibility for managing the Puppy project, I had time to pursue this dream. The result is Woof.

This is what Woof does:

Download another distros packages, so we don't have to host them anywhere (although in some cases the distro may not have a suitable package so we still need some of our own PET packages).

Totally automatially build a Puppy live-CD iso file, with your choice of packages.

Totally automatically build the 'devx' SFS file (which is how Puppy provides support for C/C++/Vala/Genie/Fortran compiling).

Support multiple distros.

Easily upgrade to a new version.

The end result is Puppy Linux
--- End quote ---

f0dder:
I'm using a 8gig virtual disk for my XUbuntu 12.04 VM (which I use for web-banking, and other things that require the scandalous NemID system). That's even slightly overkill, since the installed system uses about 3.8gig. The VM is only used for those web-based things, though, so doesn't have a lot of extras installed (but then again, even XUbuntu comes with a relatively fat base package).

Paul Keith:
Can you expand more on how it helps you with web-banking?

f0dder:
Can you expand more on how it helps you with web-banking?-Paul Keith (September 06, 2012, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
Certainly.

First, let's get the obvious out of the way: it doesn't help a whole lot if the host machine has been compromised. With that out of the way...

The above-mentioned NemID has been shoved down our throats. It was commissioned by the big financial interests, and being run by a private (and, it unfortunately seems, darn incompetent) company. If it was just a banking system, it would be kinda OK - at least it offers two-factor authentication. BUT:

1) it's becoming mandatory for interacting with the government - so it should be classified as critical infrastructure (yet still being run by a private company, and iirc hosted by a company owned by a US company... patriot act...)
2) it's used for digital signature stuff. While technically there's cryptographic certificates involved, they're stored in escrow, giving us no control over them. While this might be safer than having a password-protected keyfile for 99% of the Danish population, it's scary that we have no alternative.
3) not only does NemID require a Java plugin (keep in mind how many security holes Java has had over the years), it has a signed Java applet that's really just a boostrapper, which downloads an unsigned java applet at runtime... and this unsigned applet contains native libraries invoked via JNI.
4) the company behind is extremely arrogant, having claimed that any possible attacks were purely theoretic, etc. Didn't take long before we saw the first real-world MITM attacks against it.
5) <tinfoil-hat>being shoved down our throats, and designed how it is, it would be the perfect trojan-launching vessel for the PET.</tinfoil-hat>

So yeah, I definitely want to keep that piece of crap contained in a VM. Also means I can keep the Java plugin out of the browser I use for everyday stuff, and thus be a helluva lot safer in general browsing. Just like my main browser, the one in the VM also has AdBlockPlus+NoScript+Certificate Patrol+Ghostery - and it's only used for web-banking and other NemID-requiring sites.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version