ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

instant linux on winxp

<< < (4/11) > >>

skwire:
I tried that, but it wants me to have at least 20GB free, which I dont :/-kalos (September 04, 2012, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just because it says it wants 20GB doesn't mean you have to give it 20GB.  Did you try it with a smaller amount?

kalos:
I tried that, but it wants me to have at least 20GB free, which I dont :/-kalos (September 04, 2012, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just because it says it wants 20GB doesn't mean you have to give it 20GB.  Did you try it with a smaller amount?
-skwire (September 04, 2012, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

but I can only give it 1GB, will it work?

@40hz
thanks for the great info! btw, is there a ready to deploy usb ubuntu image file to just extract it to a usb and make it work?
UPDATE: unfortunately this requires me to boot from USB stick
isnt there a way to have it in a usb stick and run it from there while I am on winxp?

40hz:
UPDATE: unfortunately this requires me to boot from USB stick
isnt there a way to have it in a usb stick and run it from there while I am on winxp?
-kalos (September 04, 2012, 05:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

AFAIK...no

Sorry. :(

re: System Requirements for Xubuntu

Minimum system requirements

To install or try Xubuntu within the Desktop/Live CD, you need 256 MB of memory. Installing with the Alternative CD requires only 64 MB. Once installed, it is strongly recommended to have at least 512 MB of memory, but you can run with 256 MB too.

When you install Xubuntu from the Desktop CD, you need 4.4 GB of free space on your hard disk. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 2 GB of free space on your hard disk.
--- End quote ---

Shades:
PortableUbuntu

You will still need to clear up some space on your hard disk, but that one allows you to run Ubuntu and Windows XP at the same time. If memory serves me right, it requires 2GByte of hard disk space. Unfortunately it is not maintained anymore, and the original site is not available anymore, but you can still download it from the link above.

Not sure if it comes with Ubuntu 7 or 8, but you can update it to the latest version 12 using Ubuntu's own update system. Will take a while and a lot of downloading though. this one is also usable from a pen drive/USB stick. Actually, it can really help with eradicating malware from a Windows PC as you can delete Windows files with PortableUbuntu that are normally inaccessible through Windows.

As always I end with the warning that one has to be careful with software like this, it is easy to make an error in areas of the Windows OS that only a re-installation can repair. 

Paul Keith:
I'm surprised QemuPuppy didn't work for you.

It's been awhile since I tried it but it is the most thought free Linux OS I've ever tried.

No knowledge required. Not even what resources to cut when a virtualized window is open. Just copy paste to usb and click like a regular portable app.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version