ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

instant linux on winxp

<< < (3/11) > >>

uliandim:
I am using VMWare Workstation for this purpose... So you can get it from here.

kalos:
I downloaded the VMWare Player (free)
what do I do next to have an ubuntu (preferably xfce)?

40hz:
I downloaded the VMWare Player (free)
what do I do next to have an ubuntu (preferably xfce)?
-kalos (September 03, 2012, 04:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Download the Xubuntu CD, create a virtual machine and install it on that. Or easier, download an Xubuntu virtual appliance and simply run that.

There's tons of how-tos and videos that a quick Google search will spot for you. Most are for Ubuntu proper, but the procedure for installing and running under VMware is the same for all Ubuntu versions.

Example here:

Luck! :Thmbsup:

kalos:
I tried that, but it wants me to have at least 20GB free, which I dont :/

is there any other solution for instant linux on winxp?

maybe an online linux?

or a usb live linux? (since I dont have CD player)

40hz:
^Virtually all the major distros can now be launched from a USB key. But you'll still need to boot into it. No way around that without running some sort of VM. The rule is: one operating system per machine. The machine can be real or virtual. But there's nothing that runs two operating systems on a single machine simultaneously. Which makes sense, because if you think about it, an instance of an OS is the machine. The computer isn't the hardware. That's just a technical detail. The computer is the software that's running.

Fortunately, Linux generally boots up much faster than Windows does. So unless you're hopping back and forth every 20 minutes it shouldn't be that big a deal.

Here's how to do put it on a key to run Xubuntu 12.04

It's very easy and no optical drive is needed. Download the iso and the Universal USB Installer app. Just follow  the directions in the how-to link above.  8) :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version