ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

instant linux on winxp

<< < (2/11) > >>

Josh:
WUBI runs a Linux install off of an existing Windows partition. You have to BOOT into the OS.

ewemoa:
Thanks for the clarification.  I think then that Wubi may not fit:

I want to have a linux OS on my winxp, without a boot live cd or something, just as I run a portable app or it would still be ok if I have to install it

--- End quote ---

Or may be I'm missing something.

NigelH:
Kalos, you didn't mention "fast" nor exactly what you want to run on Linux

So, Qemu may be able to run some Linux distro/app that you want - very slowly though.
Perhaps Bochs as well

Here's a Qemu example to run Puppy Running Linux on Windows Like Normal Programs
(Edit: looks like it is a really old article - may still be of relevance/interest though)

If your CPU supports KVM, you may have a better chance of success (performance wise) . See What_do_I_need_to_use_KVM
You will need an x86 machine running a recent Linux kernel on an Intel processor with VT (virtualization technology) extensions, or an AMD processor with SVM extensions (also called AMD-V).
--- End quote ---

tomos:
You can download LOTS of different Linux distros at the VMware site and use the VMware Player for free.
-Renegade (September 02, 2012, 09:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

note (in case) - the latest VMWare player (5) is not free for commercial use
(I dont know was the previous version or not, there seems to be a lot of confusion).
http://communities.vmware.com/thread/415383?tstart=0

It's very weird - in order to use it commercially, you have to buy Fusion - which is a Mac programme....

40hz:
Thanks for the clarification.  I think then that Wubi may not fit:

I want to have a linux OS on my winxp, without a boot live cd or something, just as I run a portable app or it would still be ok if I have to install it

--- End quote ---

Or may be I'm missing something.
-ewemoa (September 03, 2012, 05:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Guess I misunderstood the request. :-[

Ok...if you want simultaneous OS instances (one being Windows, the other Linux) then the only way to do it AFAIK is by using some species of virtual machine.

There is a Linux variant called Cooperative Linux that incorporates an unusual flavor of VM into the distro itself to make this happen. Cooperative Linux has spawned a few remixes, the most well known being andLinux..

andLinux is a complete Ubuntu Linux system running seamlessly in Windows 2000 based systems (2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 7; 32-bit versions only). This project was started for Dynamism for the GP2X community, but its userbase far exceeds its original design. andLinux is free and will remain so, but donations are greatly needed.

andLinux uses coLinux as its core which is confusing for many people. coLinux is a port of the Linux kernel to Windows. Although this technology is a bit like running Linux in a virtual machine, coLinux differs itself by being more of a merger of Windows and the Linux kernel and not an emulated PC, making it more efficient. Xming is used as X server and PulseAudio as sound server.

andLinux is not just for development and runs almost all Linux applications without modification.
--- End quote ---

The Cooperative Linux website can be found here. Latest version was released late December of last year.

The andLinux website can be found here.

Can't vouch for how well these work since I'm already quite happy using VMware for this sort of thing so I've never personally tried either. But if you want side-by-side Linux and Windows, and you're feeling adventurous, one of these might be the  ticket.
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version