topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: foobar help! how to customize "playlist search" fields  (Read 7823 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
foobar help! how to customize "playlist search" fields
« on: September 15, 2012, 06:48 PM »
As usual, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to configure foobar's "playlist search" (the window you get by pressing ctrl-f) to add fields to filter for.  Right now, it filters artist, album, and title.  I want to add filename.  I don't know how to do it.  I thought the area in the preferences below would do it, but it doesn't:
Screenshot - 9_15_2012 , 4_45_40 PM.png

I don't know if I should type "filename" or "%filename%" or what.  Of course, foobar's documentation and forums don't explain at all, as if I'm the first person to ask for this.  I've always hated their forums, you can't find shit in there.  i googled around for an hour now, nothing.  I just want to search for filename.  I just need the thing to type in that freaking field.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: foobar help! how to customize "playlist search" fields
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 07:33 PM »
One option is to simply blank out that field so nothing is restricted.  You can then search on filenames that way.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 07:41 PM »
Another option is to use Skwire's awesome Trout audio player instead of foobar.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 08:58 PM »
Trout doesn't have some of the flexibility of foobar for certain superficial things I like.  I do use Trout for my sample drum looper when I practice piano.

At one point, I had everything blanked out, but then there were too many results in my searches because it searched all the fields and it wasn't effective in filtering the list at all.  my filter is almost perfect right now: artist, album, title.  i just need a way to add filename to it.

I don't understand why foobar has so much documentation and power under the hood, a very active community...and every time I have a simple question, it's not there.  I don't get it.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 09:00 PM »
oh wait...are you saying trout can search filenames?!  need to try that...totally missed the point there. :P

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 09:06 PM »
Actually I don't know.. I just used to use foobar and am now a very proud and happy Trout user.
Maybe you could ask Skwire to add the feature if it doesn't exist yet.

Skwire, I know what you're going to say: "Thank you for creating more work for me."
You are welcome.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 09:23 PM »
I'm not quite ready for skwire to earn another superboy badge yet!  I'm saving that for when I'm in a real bad fix.

and actually, trout's find feature is quite perfect out of the box, i just tried it.  i wish foobar could be configured that way.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 10:21 PM »
Trout doesn't have some of the flexibility of foobar for certain superficial things I like.

Yep.  Mouser knows how I feel in that I don't think Trout holds a candle to foobar.  I still use both foobar and Trout.  At any rate, superboyac, the find feature in Trout is pretty simple but it seems to work well.  Note that you can also change the hotkey that brings it up if you wanted it to match your foobar config.