topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Portable application, file browser, specially for using on large screens  (Read 4096 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am interested in a file browser specifically for use on large screens and from a distance; like a big screen TV at home, or a video wall in a corporate environment.  Functionally, this is nothing different than a normal file browser.  The only differences are the WAY the content is presented on the screen.  This means:
--LARGE fonts & BIG buttons.  Unlike the way most of us computer geeks, you can't have a lot of writing, little buttons, little menus, 15 things on the menu bar, etc.  It's gotta be very similar to ios/android interfaces in that there are only 3-4 things to do on any given screen.  All the text is a very large percentage of the screen, and the buttons are huge.  For example, with a mouse on my computer monitor, I can easily click on a button that is like a half-inch big.  But on this kind of TV screen, the button would need to be like 6 inches.  These are the kinds of scales I'm talking about.  So it's all about having less content on the screen, but easier reading and navigation.

Now, my primary intention for such a software is to stick on a external hard drive and browse the files when I connect it to a computer that's attached to a tv.  Things like watching videos at other people's homes, and giving presentations at work when a monitor and computer are already present.

XBMC already can do most of this, as it relates to movies.  But XBMC is still not truly portable yet.  And development is slow because XBMC has to do everything itself.  That is, it needs to be a file browser, video player (codecs included), etc. all in XBMC.  And since it is handling file browsing duties, it is very finicky on how the files are named and organized, for it to work optimally with it's interface.  I want to avoid this.  I want my files to be named and organized however the hell I want.  I just need a file browser with big buttons and fonts.

Furthermore, this allows me to use whatever player and software I prefer.  For example, I may be a stubborn person, and I prefer Light Alloy for playing my videos over XBMC because of the way I've set up the mouse options.  So I just need the file browser, not the player.

And this is more complicated than simply increasing the font in the windows display options.  I've already tried that.  It's a stupid way to do it.  Because the fact is that Windows is meant to be used with the screen 12 inches from your face and a mouse in your hand, where you can easily make very precise micro movements.  If you increase the font in the system settings, you'll end up with tiny buttons with HUGE words stuffed into them.  It doesn't work.

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Seriously, check out the video on my post:

Topic: Back up files with a printer and scanner
in General Software Discussion    August 29, 2012, 03:53:50 PM    Cpilot    39    9241    Last post September 01, 2012, 03:44:16 PM
[reply] by sword [to joke idea]
Eagle Mode (ZUI) v 0.84.0 livecd (from sourceforge) has a practically infinite desktop with file structure and names in SVG that show all drives and files. Navigation is fast and clicking on a file allows zooming in on the contents.
fascinating:
video(dot)dainutekstai(dot)lt/thins(dot)html > Eagle Mode
or:
video(dot)dainutekstai(dot)lt/w(dot)php?a=G6yPQKt3mBA
examples:
zoomism(dot)com/ > ZUI websites and applications >

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I've been thinking the same thing lately... Nice to be able to see things on my monitors from my couch... I wonder if I could hack up a quick fix in WPF... hmmm...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are you referring to:

http://eaglemode.sourceforge.net/index.html

?
That...is a very cool idea!  It's difficult to use right now, but I need to learn what its features are.  But definitely a clever solution to this problem.  I love programmers.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh my...
it's even cooler than I thought!!  Holy shit.  I need to make a screencast of this for anyone who is not trying it out right now.

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@ewemoa
Yes. I'm using the livecd.iso, based on slax. It works well on a very old, plain box but needs a scroll/wheel mouse.