ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

It's about ... oldish films

<< < (3/12) > >>

40hz:
Because I have a Katherine Hepburn jones, my all time favorite oldies are Bringing Up Baby

followed byDesk Set

followed by all the other classics in no particular order: The African Queen, Citizen Kane, It's a Wonderful Life, Casablanca....yadda-yadda...but only after I get my dose of Kate!!! :-* ;D

Kate - the original "Geek Goddess."

For Noir oldies...anything by Hitchcock of course, although The Third Man with the terrific city sewer chase scene and switch ending; and the eerie dreamlike cold war era Keeper of the Flame (finally out on DVD) with it's cautionary message are both well worth a watch.

40hz:
Note: agree w/barney - Kelly was much better than Fred. And so was Danny Kaye, who is probably the most underrated Broadway hoofer of them all. Danny could do it all - from classic ballet to soft shoe - and all points in-between. :up:
-40hz (September 01, 2012, 10:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1.
Definitely concur.  Seems to me that Danny was much more accomplished than Fred, but Fred had all the attention at that time, and Danny's ventures into comedy created much more attention than his dancing.  I recall seeing him doing a couple of ballet routines ... very graceful, indeed ... and he could hold his own with Astaire & Kelly, methinks, in just about any venue.

Thanks for the reference about Eleanor Powell.  I remember her, I think, and remember (after being reminded) Fred's semi-tribute (I really think he was jealous/envious  ;D).  I'd much rather it have been Juliet Prowse, though ... had a teenage letch for her well past my teenage years  :-[ :P.  I remember her being praised as having the best legs in show-business, but that may just have been a Frank Sinatra quote I'm remembering  :-\.  At any rate, Juliet Prowse, Cyd Charisse, Ginger Rogers, and Mitzi Gaynor are the female dances I recall most - and all were teenage lust objects for me  :-*.
-barney (September 01, 2012, 11:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

No shame in lusting for Juliet Prowse. At least half the male population who were "of age" did. (And yes...her legs were awesome. Not just for their looks either. This lady knew how to use them. Easily one of the most talented dancers to ever appear on stage or screen.)

.. I was a dirty old man before my time  :P :P
--- End quote ---

Me too. I always liked the "older girls."  Still do - even if they eventually were my age - and are now mostly "younger women" to me. ;D Even in my youth, I generally considered 23 to be the minimum age for any woman I'd be interested in.

I still thank heaven for former Shakespearian actress Diana Riggs and the Brit TV series The Avengers. Her Emma Peel character opened up my impressionable young mind to what women might be if men would just stop trying to turn them into domesticated farm animals. Mrs. Emma Peel was smart, elegant, wholesomely sexy, witty - and could kick some serious butt when she needed to. This was a woman who didn't care to lead, and definitely wouldn't follow, any man. Although (if he were lucky) she might elect to walk alongside him as an equal. Now that was definitely an idea ahead of its time when The Avengers first came out.

Ah Diana! Few ever wore the LBD with such authority...:Thmbsup:

Shades:
The legs under Diana Riggs....they prove to be (a near "lethal") weapon against my wedding vows.  :-[

She is definitely a sight for sore eyes!

tomos:
Enjoy guys, the famous Benny Goodman scene.  I was enjoying this years before I even knew or could play jazz:
(see attachment in previous post)
http://min.us/mQ43u6A8m/1e
-superboyac (September 02, 2012, 01:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
just starting number 3 of 6  :Thmbsup:
(#3 isn't playing actually, so I've moved on to #4 - but maybe that's just a rush hour hiccup..)

EDIT/ - scratch that last line - it loaded after a couple of minutes

superboyac:
Enjoy guys, the famous Benny Goodman scene.  I was enjoying this years before I even knew or could play jazz:
(see attachment in previous post)
http://min.us/mQ43u6A8m/1e
-superboyac (September 02, 2012, 01:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
just starting number 3 of 6  :Thmbsup:
(#3 isn't playing actually, so I've moved on to #4 - but maybe that's just a rush hour hiccup..)

EDIT/ - scratch that last line - it loaded after a couple of minutes
-tomos (September 02, 2012, 02:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
you can just download the file and play it next time.  that's what's cool about that site.  If it doesn't play, just take the file and play it on your computer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version