topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: It's about ... oldish films  (Read 24149 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: It's about ... oldish films
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2012, 09:52 PM »
OK, fully back on topic!

Speaking of Danny Kaye earlier, I can't believe I forgot to mention another one of my favorites: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty based on the James Thurber short story of the same name. It had some nice performances by Virgina Mayo as his wife, and (surprise surprise!) Boris Karloff as Doctor Hollingshead.

Great little film. Maybe not as profound as Jimmy Stewart's Harvey. But a fun film nonetheless. :up:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2012, 10:15 PM »
@4wd - all of them good!

Let's also add in:

Things to Come, a 1938 adaptation of H.G.Wells story Shape of Things to Come.

This may be the original PA picture even if ut didn't have zombies! ;D

YouTube has the full movie online (see below)

The Village of the Damned (1960) that rather creepy adaptation of John Wyndham's sci-fi novel The Midwich Cuckoos

Full movie also on Youtube:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2012, 10:50 PM »
You're killing me!!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2012, 03:20 AM »
Creature features :D
The Giant Claw (1957) - very, very cheesy  ;D

Tarantula (1955) (full movie)

Them! (1954)

Never really got into the Black Lagoon trilogy, ie. Creature from the Black Lagoon, Revenge of the Creature, The Creature Walks Among Us.

But I do have all the Godzilla, Mothra, Gamera, etc films.  If you've only ever seen the done for the USA version of Godzilla, (Raymond Burr, 1956), do yourself a favour and get the original Japanese version, Gojira (1954) - it's better.

Move forward a little to the 60's and the ultimate spy  ;)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2012, 10:54 PM »
At the moment, watching an old Frank Sinatra/Jimmy Durante/Peter Lawford black-&-white.  Been a long time since I've see Durante in anything.  Kathryn Grayson as the female lead.  It's basically a romance, but Jimmy makes it a lot more.  I really miss movies like this.  Lots of trauma, lots of music, lots of chutzpah (is that the right term?).  There's some meat to it, light as it may be.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2012, 06:58 AM »
I saw 'Die Sehnsucht Veronic Voss' (just 'Veronica Voss' in English) lately. I knew nothing about it beforehand except that it's considered one of the German classics and I'd heard the directors name.

Initially I thought it was from the 50's, it's B/W, it's set in 1955, and -I'm not too well up on the terminology- but it's filmed in a film noir style. I found a few things odd and eventually realised it cant be - looked it up then - it was made in 1982. Still qualifies as 'oldish' I guess :)

About a once famous actress who fell out of favour after the war, is decidedly screwed up, meets a sports reporter who hasnt a clue who she is -
and I wont tell you any more - I prefer to see films myself knowing as little as possible about them. It's a bit of a 'Krimi', not high on suspense but very intriguing. I'm no critic, but there's some great acting and great photography.

I'd highly recommend it anyway.
Seems it's part of a 'thematic' trilogy and the others are supposed to be even better.
So I look forward to seeing them someday.
BRD Trilogyw my wiki links never work :-(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRD_Trilogy
Tom
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:07 AM by tomos »