ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

No way out? SecureBoot's latest wrinkle for non-Windows users.

<< < (3/3)

Edvard:
OK, that's what I thought, although I was hoping to take advantage of all the good things UEFI was supposed to bring to the table.  Whatevs.  :-\

Stoic Joker:
Apparently this will also eliminate the right to request a refund for any unused and unwanted copies of Windows that come pre-installed on most PCs. Because the catch always used to be you couldn't agree to the EULA or start the setup if you were going to ask for a credit. You had to  install an alternate OS before you ever booted into Windows at all to qualify.-40hz (May 29, 2013, 08:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just out of curiosity ... On a typical OOBE first boot the system goes straight to an accept the EULA page...what happens if the user simply selects no to reject the agreement? I've never thought to try it - But does/will/can the system then unclench?

Edvard:
According to the article, no.  It simply shuts down and if you restart, it comes back to the EULA page again.

f0dder:
OK, that's what I thought, although I was hoping to take advantage of all the good things UEFI was supposed to bring to the table.  Whatevs.  :-\-Edvard (June 02, 2013, 09:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
UEFI doesn't mandate SecureBoot.

40hz:
OK, that's what I thought, although I was hoping to take advantage of all the good things UEFI was supposed to bring to the table.  Whatevs.  :-\-Edvard (June 02, 2013, 09:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
UEFI doesn't mandate SecureBoot.
-f0dder (June 03, 2013, 08:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

No. Secure Boot is purely a Microsoft initiative and mandated by Microsoft for any PC that wants one of these stuck on it:

Which is to say virtually every consumer and business PC manufacturer's box.  :-\

Conspiracy theorists maintain that Microsoft first got behind UEFI in response to industry interest in Coreboot and then began twisting arms to force their own implementation of Secure Boot (a separate thing from UEFI) into the mix. Coreboot, by contrast, is an open initiative which does much the same thing as UEFI - except it's not controlled by a few industry heavyweights with an agenda to shut out the competition.

I used to be a little sceptical Microsoft would actually be trying to do that since it would be a little too obvious if they were. In the wake of several things which have followed however, I'm now convinced that is exactly what they're trying to do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version