ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 15 less of a memory hog

<< < (14/28) > >>

Tuxman:
Interesting. Thanks!

40hz:
Ok...I think I'm going to rescind my apology to the FF dev team. For two days now I'm getting pages refusing to load due to server timeouts on sites I can reach on my POS iPhone browser with no problem. And that's going through the same router at the same time - so it's not likely a router or DNS issue. If I restart FF, the problem goes away for a few hours, but then starts up again. I thought disabling WOT and all the blocker add-ons might help the situation, but it didn't.

Anybody else seeing this? My CPU is only running at about 9% average on either core, and I'm using only 700Mb of 3.9Gb physical memory. (FF is using 205 of the 700Mb with maybe two or three tabs max opened on static webpages.). No activity on swap either.

And...I just now noticed that although I'm doing nothing but typing this post, FF is suddenly using 255Mb and climbing up slowly. And...it just dropped back to 205. Guess that could be called a spike?

dantheman:
40hz, sorry to hear about your issues.  :'(

Resource and CPU usage seem to be pretty stable on my system.
All in all, i would say that Chrome and Firefox use pretty well the same amount.
With a little under 4G of RAM, it's not really an issue anymore.
Most people probably have something like that to run their Windows 7 no?
Otherwise, they're probably better off to run some Linux version.

I still have Opera on board which i find most akin to Firefox but i keep running back to the former.
They should have left it at Seamonkey... (forget what it was called before).
It's unbelievable how they still manage to make it better than Firefox+Thunderbird (with regards to resources).

40hz:
Otherwise, they're probably better off to run some Linux version.
-dantheman (September 04, 2012, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm actually running it under Linux, which is why it's so frustrating for me.  ;D I can usually nail an issue on that platform pretty quickly because I can see into the innards of the system as deeply as I need to go. So far, whatever is going on seems to be confined to something happening within FF. I was watching it earlier and the RAM usages was fluctuating up and down over a broad range (low around 205-210 and high just short of 390) with one tab open to DoCo's forum homepage and me doing nothing at all on FF.

Truly weird...I'll probably have to disable all extensions and then add them back one by one to see if there's a smoking gun in there somewhere. Hopefully it will be that simple and not some complex interaction between two or more.

I still have Opera on board which i find most akin to Firefox but i keep running back to the former.
-dantheman (September 04, 2012, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. Me too. If I could get the Sage RSS reader add-in on some other browser (or even an exact work-alike) I wouldn't be that bothered. But I've had a good workflow in place for several years now, and since FF is dead center of most of it I'm semi-stuck with it. Old habits and keyboard reflexes die hard I guess. ;D

dantheman:
As some Californians might still say "I catch your drift man!" 

After reading up a few months ago, on the almost inevitable time to reset of Firefox, it wasn't an easy thing to do (habits) but i think it helped a bunch to keep it at par.

Feedly is pretty good but i still use Feeddemon (Windows only).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version