ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 15 less of a memory hog

<< < (3/28) > >>

IainB:
While you're trying to keep up with FF versions...
-Renegade (August 29, 2012, 11:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure whether you knew, but you don't have to try. Just sign up for the ß development download channel - It's always been pretty stable for me, so far.

Tuxman:
I've been running optimized third-party Firefox builds only for months now. New Pale Moon 15 still "hogs" about 850 MB of RAM with about 20 tabs and 41 active extensions. That said, I have 8 GB of RAM, so it's not much; I don't see a difference though.

edit: I like the other big change in Fx15 though.

TaoPhoenix:
Yeah. Soon they'll be switching to scientific notation.  Get ya' Firefox here! Get ya' Firefox 1.23 x 10 to the 12th new today!!
-MilesAhead (August 30, 2012, 12:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry Miles, they posted a new one while you were typing that!  :P

TaoPhoenix:
I was looking forward to the fruits of memshrink project, the one that aims to reduce memory hog. As of FF15, the efforts reached to their zenith. From now on, the law of diminishing returns apply. So I'll jump in the Extended Support Release bandwagon when they release FF17.
-eleman (August 29, 2012, 11:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Less Explicitly, so was I. I've had this annoying bug for a while now where "every breath I take, every mouse move I make", my CPU would max out for reasons unknown.  It seems a little better for the first 30 minutes, but maybe those problems might creep back in tomorrow...

MilesAhead:
I've been doing chromium snapshots since 16.x I think. Every now and then they shift the download page and I have to google until I hit the new one. I'm using chromium 23.x now.

Yeah, it runs a lot of processes and uses more ram than FF.  But man it jumps up even when the disk is busy. Nothing is free. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version