ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 15 less of a memory hog

<< < (20/28) > >>

MilesAhead:
That Ghostery looks interesting. I think I tried it in the past. Don't remember why I stopped using it.  But I'm checking it out in FF 14 and chromium now. One thing I notice is the bubble that shows the alerts, the font and background are both black. I have to drag the mouse to read it.-MilesAhead (September 06, 2012, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Weird - it's grey-on-purple here.
-f0dder (September 08, 2012, 07:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you have flat screen I guess there's contrast on those funky color combinations. On CRT it's black on black crime. :)  Eventually I'll have to give up the SVGA connector. I'm using an old kvma switch and Gateway VX900. Maybe when I get an OctaCore or whatever they call 8-core PCs, I'll step up to dual flat screens. :)

btw now I remember why I quit using Ghostery. At least on chrome it keeps crashing and pulls LastPass down with it.  I just took it off.

40hz:
Just installed the Memory Restart add-on. Hopefully on a temporary basis. This will let me keep better track of what FF is up to with RAM usage. It shows the amount used in the toobar and has some simple options you can configure including the option to auto-restart - although I can't imagine why you'd ever want to let it do that.

daddydave:
I can never remember to check Task Manager when it happens, but in Firefox and Waterfox both, I often get a frozen browser for nearly a minute before I can scroll or click on another tab, while seeing a busy cursor (going in circles animation, I guess that replaced the hourglass in Win 7).

I have just set Microsoft Security Essentials to exclude firefox.exe and waterfox.exe from monitored processes to see if that is an issue. Many will recall we had a thread about issues antivirus software was causing with FARR for this reason. So this is just a test at this point. I will let you know how it goes.

AdBlock Plus is a necessity. I've never seen any ethical dilemma there, unless someone believes it is unethical to fast forward through TV commercials, and it cuts down on malware, especially if you have kids. The default for ABP these days is to "allow some non-intrusive advertising" which lets in some text ads, that I'm OK with. Besides that, I have four domains in my exclusion list, the one I remember adding is MakeUseOf.

TaoPhoenix:
Lately when I reboot FF 15 takes a REALLY long time for me to load now.

kilele:
@TaoPhoenix
I read an article a couple of years ago about ram hog plugins, I disabled a dictionary with lots of features and managed to make FF load faster. You can try some of these solutions:
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-uses-too-much-memory-ram

in my case, what causes FF freeze and consume a lot of memory is opening a bunch of tabs with "google images" links

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version