ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 15 less of a memory hog

<< < (16/28) > >>

f0dder:
40hz, your connection issues sound strange! But isn't one of the new features in FF14 vs FF15 (more?) support for the SPDY protocol? Mayhaps related?

Haven't had any problems here, and I do have a few addons installed - including the greedy AdBlockPlus (it's totally worth it for me, though :)). If you've been using the same firefox profile for a while (especially installing/uninstalling addons?), perhaps it's worth trying starting with a clean firefox profile and re-adding the addons you use... if that solves issues, import the necessary settings from your old profile (no idea how to do that, but I'm sure there's an application for it).

Also, VACUUM the various sqlite databases FF uses, then defrag the database files. That has helped me in the past to alleviate some of the occasional stutters.

[*]Adblock Plus 2.1.2
[*]Certificate Patrol 2.0.14
[*]Download Statusbar 0.9.10
[*]DownThemAll! 2.0.14
[*]Extension List Dumper 1.15.2
[*]Garmin Communicator 3.0.1
[*]Ghostery 2.8.0.2
[*]It's All Text! 1.6.4
[*]NoScript 2.5.4
[*]Pixlr Grabber 2.1.1
[*]Readability 2.3
[*]ScrapBook 1.5.5
[*]Tamper Data 11.0.1
[*]User Agent Switcher 0.7.3
[/list]

IainB:
@dantheman:
I try to keep a Scrapbook copy of most of my sources for mods to the FF browser.
This is a sample of some of the older ones that I have. You may need to use discretion about what you do and don't action.
Some of the mods may have been made obsolete by later verions of FF, but for those that involve about::config changes, then check your about::config to see how it compares.

* Set Firefox 3 to Launch Gmail for mailto Links
* Five Extensions You Won’t Need with Firefox 3
* Power User’s Guide to Firefox 3
* Supercharge your Blogging with these firefox 3 extensions
* 15 undocumented Firefox tips
* 10 handy Firefox about:config hacks
* Removing Java Console Extension
* Remove Extra Plugin ContainersStopping here, as I haven't the energy to manually copy all the entries I have. I am currently very ill with flu', so I hope this partial list might be of indicative use.

40hz:
If you've been using the same firefox profile for a while (especially installing/uninstalling addons?), perhaps it's worth trying starting with a clean firefox profile and re-adding the addons you use... if that solves issues, import the necessary settings from your old profile (no idea how to do that, but I'm sure there's an application for it).-f0dder (September 06, 2012, 06:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

@f- Thx for the input. Much appreciated. :)

I don't really add or remove addons that frequently. I have a list that I've pretty much standardised on for all my FF installs unless one of them becomes incompatible with whatever version of FF I'm running.

List is:

* AdBlock+
* BetterPrivacy
* Download Helper
* Download Statusbar
* DownThemAll!
* FlashGot
* NoScript
* Scrapbook
* User Agent Switcher
* WebOfTrust (installed but usually left disabled)
(All are whatever the most current versions are.)

Also, VACUUM the various sqlite databases FF uses, then defrag the database files. That has helped me in the past to alleviate some of the occasional stutters.

--- End quote ---

Tried that already.  Even ran BleachBit to remove anything that may have been lurking in cookies or whatever. Still happening.

Here's the interesting thing: the problem usually occurs after FF has been open for a while. The thing that tells me it's starting is when I either enter something into the search bar - or when I tell a link to open in a new tab - and the new tab goes into limbo. From what I can see there's a problem when that new tab gets opened. That's when the "connecting" spinner just keeps looping. Once that happens, it's a turkey shoot. Doing a restart clears it. But if I don't restart, sometimes the problem will also clear itself enough (after a minute or two) that I can close the tab and try again. But not always. And once I get that connection timeout FF becomes less and less stable. However, it is not a problem if I manually open a new tab and enter a URL there.

I think it may have something to do with the "open new windows in new tab instead" setting. Because that seems to be where the problem is occurring.

-----

Anyway...I'm going to try a full uninstall followed by a clean install with a fresh profile and NO addons to see if the problem goes away. I'm also setting up a new Nix machine today, so I'll check it out there as well, just to eliminate any chance of a Linux snafu being the cause.

Onward! 8)

f0dder:
I don't really add or remove addons that frequently. I have a list that I've pretty much standardised on for all my FF installs unless one of them becomes incompatible with whatever version of FF I'm running.-40hz (September 06, 2012, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Go add Ghostery to that list right away! :)

I think it may have something to do with the "open new windows in new tab instead" setting. Because that seems to be where the problem is occurring.-40hz (September 06, 2012, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Humm, I have that enabled as well.

FWIW: I usually don't leave my machine running overnight, so FireFox will get restarted at least once a day (but I usually do leave it running for the entirety of a Windows session) - so it's seldom it's running for more than 12+ hours (just in case it's some particularly nasty leaks that creep in after a long time). I use multiple tab groups, most of the time having at least 12 tabs in an inactive group, 8+ in the currently active one, and sometimes an additional window or two with a bunch of tabs open when I'm researching something. Not into the insane 200+ constant tabs open range, but definitely a bit more than light use :)

40hz:
[quoI don't really add or remove addons that frequently. I have a list that I've pretty much standardised on for all my FF installs unless one of them becomes incompatible with whatever version of FF I'm running.-40hz (September 06, 2012, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Go add Ghostery to that list right away! :)
-f0dder (September 06, 2012, 08:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh that is nice! Just added to my list.
Thx for the heads-up. I keep hearing about Ghostery. If it has your blessing, I'm good with it. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version