ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

President Obama randomly dropped by Reddit today for an AMA session.

<< < (4/4)

f0dder:
Yes, now that we've successfully diffused a thread on religion, let's really get to work on a political one. ;D I hope mouser has a good stash of Xanax.  :P-nosh (August 31, 2012, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
Sorry - I really try my best to avoid doing this, but sometimes it's just too hard :)

Yeah, he is a corporate whore, like the rest of them, isn't he? ;)
--- End quote ---
I heard the other guy is worse... but then my knowledge of US politics mainly comes from watching Letterman, Bill Maher and the Comedy Central shows... *shrug*
There's also CNN, but I'm only considering the relatively serious sources.-nosh (August 31, 2012, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've mainly been following the tech sources - and slashdot being the major one of those. I do believe mr. Obama is the best POTUS in a lot of years (and I'm not going to get into why, because that would be one of those unfruitful debates that are not suited for DoCo haven) - but too many people see him as some kind of saint, which I object to - every POTUS in many++ years has been a corporate whore, and Obama is no different. No matter if you're a conservative or a liberal or a libertarian or martian or whatever, everybody in the last umphteen years have been passing some really, really REALLY nasty corporate-loving laws. It doesn't matter what they say during their election period, everybody is in the pocket of their financial backers. They're all puppets.

OK, so that got a bit too much beyond what we do at DoCo, sorry - but I get a bit bitter at times, especially because what happens in the US influences the rest of our world. Hi, Assange!

nosh:
OK, so that got a bit too much beyond what we do at DoCo
--- End quote ---

Hardly, I'm sure that was a tempered post and this is an Obama thread, after all. I could probably go on a very long rant and still have a lot left to say but let's just leave it at -> from what I know (and most of the voices I hear are left-wingers), I don't think he's the messiah he campaigned as either... far from it. But then anyone who actually bought all that spiel has far more serious problems than a lying politician.

Mod request: Can we just move this thread off to The Basement pls., so we don't have to worry about it exploding here?

TaoPhoenix:

... every POTUS in many++ years has been a corporate whore, and Obama is no different. No matter if you're a conservative or a liberal or a libertarian or martian or whatever, everybody in the last umphteen years have been passing some really, really REALLY nasty corporate-loving laws. It doesn't matter what they say during their election period, everybody is in the pocket of their financial backers. They're all puppets.

-f0dder (August 31, 2012, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe I was young, maybe it was before certain services came of age like the elsewhere-mentioned Slashdot, or Fark, but I think I was pretty content with Bill Clinton. Maybe he got railroaded late in his service into signing the DMCA, but that's Congress and Disney's fault, I don't really pin that one on Clinton. Last I knew he did good work repairing the budget, before Shrub Jr blew it all to hell again. It was also "the world being the world, before 9-11". You could just be a person. He's my vote for a decent Pres.

I'm curious if anyone knows enough about Al Gore to speculate if we'd be here with the TSA business under his rule. That fateful Hanging Chad 2000 election might have 50 year consequences...

40hz:
That fateful Hanging Chad 2000 election might have 50 year consequences...
-TaoPhoenix (September 01, 2012, 01:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Try more like 100 years of consequences... :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version