ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Scott Hanselman's Posts on Getting the Most from Windows 8

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
A nice set of posts by Scott Hanselman describing how to be productive with Windows 8.  I've been hard on Windows 8 preview but some of this stuff looks pretty good.

... However, once it's installed, it's initially confusing but I have been using it every day all day since it was released and have got myself productive again. Here's what I ran into and how I realized that there's less reason to freak out than I originally thought.

--- End quote ---

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Windows8ProductivityWhoMovedMyCheeseOhThereItIs.aspx

See also: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/PinningUsefulAndObscureStuffToTheWindows8StartMenu.aspx

40hz:
It might be appropriate to note Scott Hanselman does work for Microsoft as part of their Web Platform Team. From his blog's "about" page:

My name is Scott Hanselman. I'm a web technologist and teacher. I work out of my home office in Portland for the Web Platform Team at Microsoft, but this blog, its content and opinions are my own.
--- End quote ---

Not to say his comments shouldn't be taken at face value. Or that his opinions should be automatically dismissed. It's just that his relationship with Microsoft should be noted and taken into consideration when reading his blog.
 :)

barney:
Not to say his comments shouldn't be taken at face value. Or that his opinions should be automatically dismissed. It's just that his relationship with Microsoft should be noted and taken into consideration when reading his blog.
-40hz (August 29, 2012, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's getting more difficult to trust anything on the Web.  But I've seen enough of his comments, not always MS favorable, to rely upon his statements being as accurate as he can make them, and not be a Microsoft shill.

Renegade:
Hanselman had been blogging for a long time before MS picked him up. From having read a lot of his stuff, he's pretty level. He commented a ways back when he was picked up by MS, and talked about how he had "the talk" with MS about his opinions and how he didn't want interference there, etc. etc.

But it was a good article. Makes W8 sound pretty decent. But, I still find no compelling reason to upgrade, other perhaps than to develop for W8.

barney:
But it was a good article. Makes W8 sound pretty decent. But, I still find no compelling reason to upgrade, other perhaps than to develop for W8.
-Renegade (August 30, 2012, 12:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

And therein lies the quandary.  Been playin' with the demo version, and I flat don't like it.  Haven't had opportunity to try it on a tablet, where 'twould seem better suited, but current technology simply does not allow reasonable development on a tablet, just for a tablet.

Best I can see for Win8 is that it's OK for consumption, but not for creation.

So, while I do respect Hanselman's  opinion, I still have to question the efficacy of Win8 as a production/business/non-consumption OS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version