ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Fake Reviews: Amazon's Rotten Core

<< < (7/8) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Heck, even Wikipedia has being found doing information manipulation, eliminating information that is against the believes of whoever is an op there while putting propaganda as the truth.
-rxantos (August 30, 2012, 11:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do you know if they have manipulated the history of edits for any page?
-ewemoa (August 30, 2012, 11:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I believe they have, but it is beyond my mere mortal powers to provide the Citation Needed.

40hz:
I wonder if one can make a candidate sign a contract in which if he/she does not makes good on his promises, they are automatically, and personally,  in debt for 1 million, per each incident.
--- End quote ---

Probably not legally since it would be a violation of an oath of office to sign such a contract. And it might also be illegal in that it could be viewed as a form of coercion employed against an elected official. Something which is a crime.

There's already been some discussion about US reps who have signed a public pledge (i.e. Norquest No-Tax Pledge) that they will oppose and attempt to block any new tax bills no matter what the circumstances. In a Huffington Post editorial, retired judge H. Lee Sarokin raises the issue of whether this may constitute a violation of the oath of office or a dereliction of duty on the part of the reps signing it.

Interesting question.

wraith808:
I wonder if one can make a candidate sign a contract in which if he/she does not makes good on his promises, they are automatically, and personally,  in debt for 1 million, per each incident.
--- End quote ---

Probably not legally since it would be a violation of an oath of office to sign such a contract. And it might also be illegal in that it could be viewed as a form of coercion employed against an elected official. Something which is a crime.

There's already been some discussion about US reps who have signed a public pledge (i.e. Norquest No-Tax Pledge) that they will oppose and attempt to block any new tax bills no matter what the circumstances. In a Huffington Post editorial, retired judge H. Lee Sarokin raises the issue of whether this may constitute a violation of the oath of office or a dereliction of duty on the part of the reps signing it.

Interesting question.
-40hz (August 31, 2012, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

The large thing is that there are IMO two different things at play here:
1. Those that make promises they never intend to deliver on to get elected, and
2. Those that make promises in good faith, but can't deliver on them because of the realities of the political situation, naivete, or both.

A good example of the latter is Clinton.  He made several promises, and tried to make them happen.  He spent a lot of political capital in the pursuit of the Health Care mandate and the stance of the military in regard to LGBT servicemen.  He was able to deliver on neither of these.  But it wasn't for lack of trying- it was because of opposition and the political realities.

To penalize someone because of that seems... wrong.

mouser:
Guys and gals, please do not bring another real thread into politics debate land please.

40hz:
Guys and gals, please do not bring another real thread into politics debate land please.
-mouser (August 31, 2012, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Apologies...Must be tired. Won't bring the 'real' world into a 'real' DoCo discussion ever again. Promise. (And this time I reeally mean it. :mrgreen: )
 ;) ;D :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version