ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Boot Disk Failure: after replacing hard drive

(1/4) > >>

superboyac:
I get a "Boot Disk Failure, Insert system disk" error when I replaced one of the hard drives in my pc, windows 7 (NOT the os drive).  I haven't found a solution for it yet.  I booted from the windows 7 install disc and did a repair, but it doesn't do anything.  I picked the "fix startup" options in the repair console.

I have 3 drives in the computer.  I replaced one with a larger size and that's when this happened.  And I think this has happened before.  when you take a drive out of a windows computer, it causes these boot up problems.  I plugged the old drive back in, but it won't work.  I've probably tweaked the MBR too much with all the repair tools at this point.  Shoot!  every time...

what is the proper way to go about replacing a drive??  and how do i get around this without doing a full reinstall?  and i thought I can do a repair reinstall, but windows 7 boot disc doesn't seem to have that.  It only has this repair console where you can fix a few things, but there's way to just reinstall everything over the existing installation to fix missing files.

Renegade:
This sounds like a question for Stoic Joker!

edbro:
I've had this before and it was booting from the wrong disc. I had to reorder the boot sequence in the BIOS.

40hz:
IF the drive is formatted as a primary partition, has the bootable flag set, and does not contain your OS, what edbro suggested is most likely the problem. Usually your system will try to boot off the first primary/bootable drive it "discovers." Some BIOSes seem to reorder the boot sequence after a drive is replaced. Probably has something to do with how discovery works fror that particular BIOS/mobo combination.

You could try disabling the hardware BIOS discovery feature by selecting the "OS is plug&play aware" option in the BIOS settings if there is one. That sometimes prevents that problem from occurring since P&P discovery won't take place until after Windows loads.

Carol Haynes:
I've had this too - it is a BIOS boot priority issue - check you are set to boot from the correct drive

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version