ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Text Editor

Notepad++ has Help file; hex editor plugins

(1/2) > >>

cathie28:
On current best text editor reviews, as of 8/23/2012, comments on Notepad++ are:
no help file
no hex edit

Version I'm using -  5.9.6.2 - definitely has a built in Help file.
It doesn't have much hex editing capability, but has very capable hex editor plugins.  It's hex editor plugins may / may not be the "best," but the review category is "text editors."

One of most attractive features about NP++ is the wide range of excellent plugins.  Several I've tried (out of ? > 100 ?), work seamlessly.
NP++ site / author also rates plugins on quality / stability & how well maintained they are.  Many of the plugins have their own forums (many on Sourceforge) or own websites / forums.

Notepad++ itself is well maintained.

Renegade:
I've periodically used Notepad++ as I've been using Editplus for about 10 years or so now, and the last time I checked Notepad++ (a month or so ago), it was simply excellent. I'd recommend it to anyone.

The current version that I have is the portable version (ZIP file) and v6.1.5 and it has documentation - pure HTML files in directories. No CHM. And none of that online help nonsense that doesn't work when you aren't connected to the Internet -- a pet peeve of mine for documentation.

And hex editing can be had with a plugin - not a big deal. Though in Editplus the actual text editor displays the hex value for wherever the cursor is - which I've found valuable on more than one occasion. Notepad++ lacks that - is it in the hex editor plugin? I've not tried it.

There's really nothing to complain about in Notepad++. I don't know why someone would complain about the help file - the documentation is there...

cathie28:
Holy antique reviews, Batman!

How long are you going to leave the old, outdated reviews for many of the text editor software up, before updating them?  I'm sure Ultraedit is quite good & you probably make $ for promoting it - that's fine.

But you gloss over many of them, that have improved greatly since you reviewed them.  Notepad++ is now one of the most widely respected editors.  Especially if you consider all the plugins.  You gloss over it (& some others) like they were slightly above Notepad.

If you're not going to be fair & up to date on the reviews, just take them down & only advertise Ultraedit .

barney:
If you're not going to be fair & up to date on the reviews, just take them down & only advertise Ultraedit .
-cathie28 (May 24, 2013, 05:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

???

Other than a simple statement of preference, I didn't see any downside to that review.  It reinforced the original post.  Mayhap I missed something, but ...?

Jibz:
How long are you going to leave the old, outdated reviews for many of the text editor software up, before updating them?  I'm sure Ultraedit is quite good & you probably make $ for promoting it - that's fine.
--- End quote ---

I think you can rest assured nobody was getting money or otherwise being compensated for a positive review on this site. It is simply because it reflects the experience and evaluation of the reviewer at that time, given what the editors available were like back then.

--- End quote ---

The review was last updated seven years ago, and I agree that is showing. It is a huge effort to write a review like that, and I am afraid equally huge keeping it up to date. The official reviews which were a big part of DonationCoder in the first years, have not really been done since then -- instead the forums thrived and became the driving force of the site, and user reviews started to appear here.

You could argue that the old reviews should be taken down. On the other hand, they are marked clearly with dates, and point to the forums for further discussion (like these).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version