ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Steps to Flash the HP ENVY 14 laptop's Matshita DVD RAM - to make it Region-free

<< < (3/3)

4wd:
Are they still putting the Regional Coding enhancement (RCE) on some disks?-40hz (August 24, 2012, 06:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think so, doesn't really affect me because I don't playback DVDs on my PC but I do tangentially notice it when ripping....errr...creating a backup, that it's been removed.

Let's be honest, do you really expect the MAFIAA to accept that one of their restrictive practices was a complete failure and just dump it overnight?
 ;D

Right, knew that part. Back when, I spent a lot of time SlipStreaming Service Packs and burning OS disks so 6x is a bit fast for (that type of) a solid burn. :)-Stoic Joker (August 24, 2012, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

errr yeah, sorry... :-[

My concern was not so much that it had capped the write speed (however shouldn't vs. can't is a factor), but that it had capped the read speed also.
--- End quote ---

The only time the read cap is going to hit is when you rip the discs, IIRC, if you play back a DVD from the drive it's only read at 1x.

Of course, it'll also come into effect for data discs but we're mainly talking about DVD video if we're talking RPC.

Also, most DVD drives cap the read speed of video DVDs at about 8x anyway, (some can go to 16x), so that you normally have to flash with a RipLockw patch firmware if you want to rip a DVD any faster.

Stoic Joker:
if you play back a DVD from the drive it's only read at 1x-4wd (August 24, 2012, 12:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Strangely, I never thought of that. But then again I never really think of the computer's optical drive as a place to stick movies. Disk ripping OTOH I do frequently. Thanks.

4wd:
Another DOH! moment:  This is a laptop DVD writer, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of one that can read/write a DVD faster than 8x.

I strongly suspect that the initial speed reported was for CDs and that with the firmware flash the drive now reports its true DVD read/write speeds.

An easy way to find out would be to put a known good quality blank in, (eg. TYG03), and see what speeds ImgBurn reported as possible for it, (bit late now in this case).

eg. Pioneer DVR-217

Specs on this site seem to indicate this is the case, so you've actually lost nothing.

IainB:
Thanks to the @40hz, @Stoic Joker and @4wd I have learned/discovered something from this discussion thread.
After reading the link from @40hz to eeshops.com - here,
I googled "Specification of UJ897" and found some good stuff on alibaba.com - here.

The eeshops.com spec includes:
   9.5mm height
   5X DVD-RAM Writing
   8X DVD-R Writing
   6X DVD-R DL Writing
   6X DVD-RW Writing
   8X +R Writing
   8X +RW Writing
   6X +R DL Writing
   24X CD-R Writing
   16X CD-RW Writing
   8X DVD-ROM Reading