ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Simplifying Your Computer

<< < (5/6) > >>

rgdot:
I have original Windows discs sitting right here but for the purpose format/reinstall is there legal *up to date* Windows image available somewhere or is there some mystery method I am clueless about? (there have been 100s of MB updates since SP3 alone)

40hz:
I have original Windows discs sitting right here but for the purpose format/reinstall is there legal *up to date* Windows image available somewhere or is there some mystery method I am clueless about? (there have been 100s of MB updates since SP3 alone)
-rgdot (August 23, 2012, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can slipstream all the updates, but it's far more trouble and work than it's worth for a single PC IMHO.

Easier is to just get the full archive of all available updates and install from that. Fortunately, there's a handy and free tool that will download a full set of updates and pack them onto a DVD or USB key for you to use, along with a utility that handles getting everything installed afterwards. It's variously known as the c't Updater or the WSUS Offline Update. Download it from here.

Note: It will take a while to retrieve all the files from Microsoft, so it's usually easiest to kick it off overnight the first time you gather the updates. Subsequent runs take significantly less time because the utility is smart enough to know what it's already downloaded.
 :Thmbsup:

Addendum: if you do decide to do a clean reinstall, don't forget to backup all your current hardware drivers first. Hunting down drivers - especially XP drivers - is a real PITA. So if you already have a working machine, take advantage of that and get copies of the drivers prior to flat-lining your current system disk. You'll thank yourself later on. :Thmbsup:

rgdot:
--- End quote ---

You can slipstream all the updates, but it's far more trouble and work than it's worth for a single PC IMHO.

Easier is to just get the full archive of all available updates and install from that. Fortunately, there's a handy and free tool that will download a full set of updates and pack them onto a DVD or USB key for you to use, along with a utility that handles getting everything installed afterwards. It's variously known as the c't Updater or the WSUS Offline Update. Download it from here.

Note: It will take a while to retrieve all the files from Microsoft, so it's usually easiest to kick it off overnight the first time you gather the updates. Subsequent runs take significantly less time because the utility is smart enough to know what it's already downloaded.
 :Thmbsup:
-40hz (August 23, 2012, 04:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks  :)

tomos:
--- End quote ---

do you mean original as in SP0 so-to-speak?
If so, according to the nlite forums, you can slipstream it with SP3 (using nlite) and it should work. But I cannot guarantee that. I dont have links but did research it during the week. I actually tried it but it didnt work in a VM install - but I think that may have been to do with me adding the key in nlite and VMWare trying to also use a quick install system. Or maybe it just doesnt work...

There was an XP-up-to-SP3 download at one stage from MS -
I actually still have it I think, but it didnt work for my keys cause they are for OEM version.

TaoPhoenix:
Minor Rant. Can people stop using "Here" to mean all kinds of random sites? Can't y'all mention the site first and then just post the link?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version