ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ken Stark of the Helios Project needs our help.

(1/2) > >>

Rover:
"Ken Starks has helped a lot of people. He's personally placed a lot of computers in homes that couldn't otherwise afford them. Now he needs our help - not to build more computers or train more people or spread more free-software love, but to stay alive."

http://www.indiegogo.com/helios

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2012/08/this-is-where-we-are.html

Help if you can. :)

Rover:
 :huh:  Seriously?  At the time of reading 77 views and 0 replies. 

I mean I don't expect to have 100% response, but does anyone want to help this guy?  Maybe you just donated and didn't reply... I think that about DC'ers first. :)

In other news, this guy is helping people who know one else wants to help.  I've followed his exploits for years and know that he works his ass off.  You may prefer Windows of Linux (I prefer other Linux over the brand he uses) but this guy is helping people.... boots on the ground kind of stuff.  And now he is dying.  If he had a "real" job he'd have health insurance to make this go away.  He chose better.

Make a difference in the world DC'ers.  The $5,000 goal was set by someone who wanted to help but didn't know the cost.  It's closer to 50K.  If the Interwebs can generate 700K for a bus monitor who was picked on by 12 year olds, I hope we can do at least 7.5% of that to save a man's life.  :Thmbsup:

tomos:
I donated ;-)

NOTE / quote:
This campaign will receive all of the funds
contributed by Sun Aug 26 at 11:59PM PT

The $5,000 goal was set by someone who wanted to help but didn't know the cost.  It's closer to 50K.
-Rover (August 21, 2012, 10:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

it's a pity they dont make that much clearer on the indigogo page...

40hz:
Seriously?  At the time of reading 77 views and 0 replies. 

I mean I don't expect to have 100% response, but does anyone want to help this guy?  Maybe you just donated and didn't reply...
-Rover (August 21, 2012, 10:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that may be the case more often than not. Not everybody feels a need to "wear the t-shirt" in order to do some good.  ;)

Besides, there really isn't much to else say that hasn't already been said in other places. Ken is in serious medical/financial trouble. He requires a life-saving surgical procedure (for cancer); and, being an American (and therefor protected from the scourge of socialized medicine) has discovered he is unable to afford it. End of story. It's a especially sad news considering what his significant other Diane just went through recently. :(

mouser:
If the Interwebs can generate 700K for a bus monitor who was picked on by 12 year olds, I hope we can do at least 7.5% of that to save a man's life.
--- End quote ---

one of the hardest's lessons to learn in the age of internet (or global?) funding, and one of the most confusing, is how incredibly arbitrary and capricious and winner-take-all this kind of funding is.  it's not based on logic or need -- it's a mystery combination of factors that create a cascade of publicity.  i find it incredibly disconcerting and troubling.

but i would urge you not to try to use reason or rationality to analyze how much donations/funding something gets, and especially don't compare the funding of one thing to another or you are likely to get extremely depressed and angry at a world/community.

--

As a more constructive comment -- your post was mostly just a quote from the page; if you had made a longer more personal post you would have gotten more personal replies..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version