ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me understand Virtual Machine [VMWare]

<< < (3/10) > >>

Shades:
My anecdotal view is this: the portable version of VirtualBox that I tried was not that nice to work with. The VMWare Player v3+ was a lot smoother in creating and using a virtual setup.

Not sure about the speed with which a virtual setup is executed/handled in both environments. I don't think one is substantially faster than the other in day-to-day use. I did feel at the time that VirtualBox gave me a more hands-on experience.

Then again, I was also pressed for time at that moment so I went with the easiest one. As far as I know VirtualBox can work with a virtual setup created by VMWare and vice versa.  

Jibz:
Thanks for the comments  :up: .. the lack of snapshot feature would definitely make it less useful for me.

40hz:
I'm generally bullish on F/OSS projects. DOSBox and VirtualBox are both workable for casual to semi-serious use. But VMWare Workstation is a far better product if you have more complex requirements or do a lot of software testing.

I tried DOSBox and VirtualBox. I bought VMWare Workstation.

YMMV. 8)

Renegade:
Thanks for the comments  :up: .. the lack of snapshot feature would definitely make it less useful for me.
-Jibz (August 17, 2012, 12:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't be so quick there. You can simply copy the files at a given point, and then you have a "snapshot". Yeah, might be a bit of a pain, but it still works. You need to have some rather complex requirements before the VMware snapshots are useful.

And I also bought a VMware Workstation license. So, I'm not trying to push anything there. VMware is fantastic. The question is whether you need those additional features.

(I remember using Ghost to restore machines for testing... That was a while ago. :) )

40hz:
If you can spare about 25 mins and would like to watch a really good hands-on for VirtualBox, take a look at Eli the Computer Guy's video on YouTube:

You may find the (usually) free VirtualBox software all you want or need. :) :Thmbsup:

Note: He also has a good intro to both virtualization and cloud computing. I often drop copies of these off with people (i.e. non-clients and tire-kickers) who want to know more about these technologies - but who haven't invited me out to discuss them over pizza.

Actually, all of Eli's videos are pretty good. You can find the complete collection here.

His reality check presentation on How to Become an IT Professional (see below) should be required viewing for anyone who is considering pursuing one of those "highly paid professional careers" the late night cable TV ads for private technical 'institutes' boast so much about. Seriously, if you're at all thinking about going into IT (as opposed to just "getting into computers") take the time to watch it. It can save you tens of thousands of dollars, and a few years of your life!

:Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version