ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me understand Virtual Machine [VMWare]

(1/10) > >>

tomos:
OK

* I've installed VMWare Player
* I have my winXP iso ready to roll
I've been reading the documentation, it's confusing, because there seems to be many versions/aspects to VMWare. But mainly confusing cause they dont cater to users who dont already understand (there's got to be a name for that - insider-manual-syndrome maybe).

I understand it's going to be a completely separate virtual install, but I'm not sure if this completely seperate (virtual) machine can see the real machine, and vice versa.

What I dont know (so far) is:

1) I suspect ideally an empty partition would be good for the virtual machine(s) - but dont know.
2) I presume it will create a virtual drive anyway?
3) if yes to #2: can it create virtual partitions on the virtual drive?
4) if yes to #3: can files on virtual partitions be accessed from outside the virtual OS?
5) within the virtual OS, will I be able to access and modify files from the "real" machine i.e. outside of the virtual machine

Any help much appreciated :up:

tomos:
Possibly relevant:

I'm using a single Windows 7 machine (no network)
I do have an external drive that I could store files on for sharing with both OS's.

Or could I network the two machines: real/virtual (remember here: I'm a noob - also with networking :p)

Josh:
1) I suspect ideally an empty partition would be good for the virtual machine(s) - but dont know.
2) I presume it will create a virtual drive anyway?
4) if yes to #3: can files on virtual partitions be accessed from outside the virtual OS?
5) within the virtual OS, will I be able to access and modify files from the "real" machine i.e. outside of the virtual machine
-tomos (August 17, 2012, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

1. You can use an empty partition on tools like VMware workstation. The player is limited to a virtual drive which is created when you create a new player image. Workstation can use a physical partition or other disk.
2. Yes, you will be prompted to create a virtual drive on VM creation.
3. Yes, you can partition the virtual drive just like a normal disk.
4. Yes, if you enable sharing within VMware
5. Again, you have to enable sharing which is done once you install the VMware tools.

VMware workstation provides greater flexibility and control over the VM. Player images are restricted to certain types of virtual hardware and settings. Workstation is designed for a more full-fledged image and setup a "virtual network" on the host system. Workstation is designed when you don't have a VMware VSphere server to play with.

mouser:
VmWare *Player* is not what you want;  You need the VmWare "Workstation" tool (not free), or one of the free alternative virtual machine tools, like VirtualBox.

Although I use VmWare myself, seeing as how you are just experimenting, VirtualBox seems the better route than buying VmWare Workstation.

--- End quote ---

no.  these tools create everything they need in normal files.  so when you run the program and create a new virtual machine, it will create a very large file (it could grow to be several gigabytes in size) that will simulate the hard drive of the virtual computer.  Everything is stored in normal files.

--- End quote ---

yes; it is basically going to simulate everything -- a partitionable hard drive, a bios, EVERYTHING.  it's really quite remarkable.

--- End quote ---

the answer is that you can access files in both directions -- but not without some work.  different virtual machine software handle this differently.  for vmware, if you are using windows operating system as your host (real) pc and simulated pc, it will install special utilities to let you drag and drop files; if you are using linux it's more complicated.

tomos:
 :up:  thanks Josh :)

VmWare *Player* is not what you want;  You need the VmWare "Workstation" tool (not free), or one of the free alternative virtual machine tools, like VirtualBox.-mouser (August 17, 2012, 09:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

why do you say that mouser? (Josh's reply makes it sound quite usable). Is it because I mention wanting to use files outside the VM?
I may want to use it for actual work; initially I want to do a couple of test installs, also to try run an older app that doesnt work for me on Win7.

ps. back later ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version