ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Older Newsletters

DonationCoder.com Article - One Year Report on our Experiments with Donationware

<< < (10/12) > >>

Cavalcader:
Big Shot Funder
I would like to make a large donation to the site in order to support the funding of future software on DonationCoder.com.-mouser (October 24, 2008, 04:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'd tweak the category name of that one, even though it's got no ill intent -- Big Shot could be taken as a jab.  ;)

2) or a tiny exe you could run on your pc to create and store your universal license key on your computer or a registry .reg file you could double click to register all donationcoder programs forever after.-mouser (October 24, 2008, 09:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
This might be a little too easy to post around the web and bypass DC entirely. I'm sure it's not a super high-security registration process anyway, but for a stand-alone registration method there should at least be some kinda wording like "if you're reading this it means you've seen what we have to offer. If not, someone may have shortcut the process; here's a link:" (etc.)

I think it's not asked too much to go and get a new license key every 60 days (for the 'Conscientious Objector' group, which would then not be needed any more as it would be the same as the 'Just Curious!' group), or a one year license key if you want for the 'Educational / Non-profit Organization' group. For someone who can't afford (or doesn't want) to donate but still wants to use a program, going to the web site to get a new license key once in a while shouldn't be a problem.-phitsc (October 24, 2008, 04:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah -- as much as people might find a license key a hassle (unlimited free software is always the simplest) it's still a reasonable investment to go through some sort of process to get someone else's work for free. Everybody at some point should at least be able to offer either time, money or labor in return for useful software. (For example, even with completely free software it's still nice to offer feedback to the developer or at least say thanks.) For people that don't want to give anything back any other way, the "time" would be the key-downloading process.

cyberdiva:
I'd like to add a different perspective to the discussion.  I'm a supporting member, but I've never downloaded any of the donationware available.  So why did I come to this site, and why in the world did I donate?  I came because of the Reviews, and I donated because I found so much useful information here.  I'd be a little surprised if I turn out to be the only person who has donated not for the software but for the information.  (Then again, I'm often surprised.)  Anyway, I really like this site, and I donated as a way of saying "thank you".  :up:

Marcel25:
Hello,

First of all, let me compliment the author on this article. It found it very interesting for different reasons. I am a developer of both small and big software solutions. The smaller ones could be good candidates for freeware of donationware.

Because I have a lot of projects, I made a "ToDo" program for myself. When published on a single page for beta testing, the program got attention from a lifehacking site and that article generated so many requests I decided to make a product out of it: Much2Do

Although 200+ people downloaded the software, none of them bothered to register for 25 EUR. Although I knew it before I read the article, your article proved it was not a good idea to state on my website and in my download emails that I intended to continue development only when some of them registered. Major error!

Don't feel sorryt for me, this project was a very small project and since I made it for personal use, I did not loose time or sleep over it. But the article made some strong points and I will re-read it again I am sure. Also, the article might help me when I need to make decisions on how to market my commercial software. Some of the same issues apply, like the fact that people do not like to register before the use the software.

But my first post is simply to compliment you on the article (I'll start a new post in a minute for the second part of my message)

mouser:
Thanks for your comments Marcel and welcome to the site, hope to read more from you  :up:

Marcel25:
Now a second post regarding my personal experiences on this website. I got here because I was searching for a Freeware Capture program. I read the 'rules' regarding registration and... like other people have said: it is too dawn confusing. Different registration options... if you don't agree you can click to another page and there is another option... temporary license...

This lead to me trying another freeware program first FSCapture and it suits my needs very well. One major point is that I want to capture window screenshots with rounded corners. FSCapture does it perfectly (adding white in the corners) and when browsing throuigh this forum I found out your Capture program might not be capable of rounded corners (one topic states someone couldn't get it to work, Mousers reply was maybe the feature was removed accidentally). No reason for me to look further it seems.

But because I find the DOnationware principe and the communicty interesting, I did sign up for this forum with the intention of complimenting the article and give feedback in this particular topic. Unfortunately, gettin on the forum took me multiple registraion attempts, because I did not receive a validation email (only after 30+ min). But here I am, haning in there just to give my feedback!

My opinion is this: everyubody knows people do not want to register for simple small programs. So for thos things, do not ask for registration in the first 6 months. When I am using the program regularly and I see a donation request after 6 months, I will definitelty donate. This are different when it concerns bigger, more expensive or more specific software.

I develop software between 80 and 880 euro per license (Much2Do is the only exception) and for those I really want people to give me their email address before downloading. This is for two reasons (may not be very valid but still): 1. I want to be able to ask them for feedback a few weeks later, 2. I 'd like to think - I know it's not true - I can keep track of who is using the software in case someone 'hacks' my software.

Writing this, I know I can NEVER be sure my software will not be hacked/cracked. But if it would be possible - theoretically - to develop 'unhackable' software I would be happy to return to my former download method: people could decide themselves whether they give me an email address or not. This is not a big step back because frankly: people can leave me a temp hotmail address now (although very few do)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version